Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battery for van

Battery for van

Does anyone know what is the best type of battery to use in a van with a ramp? I just had a new one put in and it doesn't work as well as the last one. My van has failed to start 3 times since I have had the battery replaced and has had to be jump started. I never had any issues with the battery before that. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

I believe that Optima batteries are one of the best out there. A "red" or "yellow" top is the right type for your application. You can usually pick them up at Costco or Sam's Club. I believe that most parts stores carry them. A nationwide chain like Napa or Autozone is also usually a great place to purchase them because of the nationwide warranty.

This product has saved my butt countless times. It's ALWAYS my very first mod that I do to a vehicle. http://www.prioritystart.com

You need to have the charging system checked. The battery is designed to store cold start power when the key off. They can do a starter draw test and see if the starter or solenoid are going bad and drawing too much power from the battery to start the vehicle. Then they need to test the alternator which takes over producing operating power for the vehicle once it starts as well as replenishing the lost battery power from the cold start. If the alternator does not function correctly it won't recharge the battery while it's running and the battery will go dead.

Bottom line is it could be any number of things from the battery, battery cables, connections, starter, starter solenoid, alternator and so on so get it checked out just replacing the battery may not solve the problem.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    Does anyone know what is the best type of battery to use in a van with a ramp? I just had a new one put in and it doesn't work as well as the last one. My van has failed to start 3 times since I have had the battery replaced and has had to be jump started. I never had any issues with the battery before that. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

What kind of van and conversion do you have?

If i were to guess you have a electrical draw.

This can be caused by a lot of different things.

Your best bet is going to bring it to someone who can confirm your alternator is working properly along with pin down any electrical draw your van might have.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

There's always the possibility the new battery is defective.

A mechanic from the garage where I had some work done came out today. We already have about 5 inches of snow. I’m surprised he came. Anyway, he brought a powerpack with him and it started right up. He said that the alternator is fine, but he suspects there may be an electrical draw coming from somewhere. When he tested the alternator he said it had 18.5 volts. I don’t understand any of this, so please bear with me. He wanted to take it to the garage, but I wouldn’t let him because the ramp is stuck in the kneeling position. He had no idea about how that works. I am hoping to get a hold of the dealership where I bought it on Monday. In the meantime, I am going to keep starting it periodically by remote. I can’t access the buttons on the inside of the van to see if they work to deploy the ramp. Once the weather clears up I am planning to ask a neighbor. This is frustrating. I need the van for a procedure I have coming up next week. It is about an hour drive away from where I live. I hope I can get this solved before then. The people from the garage convinced me that I need a new battery. I have never had a problem before this. I should have left “well enough alone.”

I have a minivan with a braun entervan II conversion. It has a fold out electric ramp and kneeling system.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerun View Post
    I believe that Optima batteries are one of the best out there. A "red" or "yellow" top is the right type for your application. You can usually pick them up at Costco or Sam's Club. I believe that most parts stores carry them. A nationwide chain like Napa or Autozone is also usually a great place to purchase them because of the nationwide warranty.

This product has saved my butt countless times. It's ALWAYS my very first mod that I do to a vehicle. http://www.prioritystart.com
    This looks very interesting. I may try this. Thanks!

If your alternator is putting out 18.5 volts at the battery it's way over charging it, and destroying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    If your alternator is putting out 18.5 volts at the battery it's way over charging it, and destroying it.
    That's what I was thinking. Call another mechanic.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm not sure about the 18.5 volts. Don't most van modifications include a bigger battery to handle the ramp and so on?