Thread: hibiclens

hibiclens

Does anybody use hibiclens on a regular basis? I was thinking that considering my recent episode of cellulitis and catheterization issues with the risk of bacteria, most of which are picked up from the skin that perhaps cleansing the area with Hibiclens would be helpful. I was thinking of just doing the area around my lower abdomen where my umbilical stoma is, the groin, perineal area, lower legs and feet only (not necessarily in that order).

Hibiclens puts a protective barrier on the skin for a number of hours after use and could help prevent the spread of MRSA or other bacteria that can lead to skin infection or catheter contamination.

There are people who use it on a regular basis, though I was concerned that overuse of antibacterials could cause more problems than it would cure. The product information did not advise against routine use. Some people can have an allergic reaction that is a different issue than the antibiotic resistant issue.

Any input would be welcome.

I use it daily around my suprapubic stoma. Also on the catheter to clean the gunk off it. When I forget to use it multiple days in a row I notice I get more UTIs

Hibiclens is a brand of chlorhexidine (CHG), a common antiseptic used to clean the skin before surgery, clean IV and central/PIC line sites, and even used for oral care in persons at high risk for HAP (hospital-acquired pneumonia; using 0.12% CHG solutions or gel). It comes in different strengths. 2% is the most commonly used concentration for skin cleaning, and that strength should never be taken internally or applied to mucous membranes (such as inside the mouth, around the eyes, vaginally or rectally).

Hibiclens is 4%, and there have been some concerns over the years that this is too strong, and that regular repeated use may result in significant systemic absorption of the chemical. It is recommended to not apply even the 2% to very warm or hot skin, and if used after showering or bathing, to let the skin dry and cool for at least an hour before using on the skin.

It does leave a residue on the skin (skin may also feel a little sticky) for up to 24 hours that is bacteriostatic (not bacteriocidal), but so does the 2% strength.

(KLD)

"It is recommended to not apply even the 2% to very warm or hot skin, and if used after showering or bathing, to let the skin dry and cool for at least an hour before using on the skin."

Would it be ok to use as part of your showering routine, or does showering with warm water heat the skin up too much?

OK for occasional use, but not sure that I would recommend that daily.

(KLD)

I had a groin rash for years, it was worse in summer months, and tried all the over the counter treatments for jock itch and diaper rash. Nothing worked. A few years ago my doctor recommended washing my groin area daily with Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser 4 %. The rash was gone in approximately ten days. The last part of my daily shower I wash my groin area with approximately 1 teaspoon of Hibiclens and then rinse the area completely. I continue to use it everyday and have been rash free ever since with no problems. One additional benefit is that it seems to remove any body oil from my penis and helps the adhesion of the external catheters I use.

I am a female quadriplegic. 37 1/2 years post.

My husband went to medical school and work in all kinds of fields. He began washing me up with Hibiclense at least a couple decades ago because of his cleansing properties. I use it every morning. I highly suggest it in the female area. With warm water and a washcloth together. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brinda41 View Post
    I am a female quadriplegic. 37 1/2 years post.

My husband went to medical school and work in all kinds of fields. He began washing me up with Hibiclense at least a couple decades ago because of his cleansing properties. I use it every morning. I highly suggest it in the female area. With warm water and a washcloth together. :-)
    The manufacturer of Hibiclens (brand of chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0%) says it should not be used on mucosa (ie, the vulva, orally, or inside the rectum or vagina):

http://www.hibiclens.com/clinical/hi...-facts-warning

2% chlorhexidine gluconate solution is used in hospitals for pre-operative skin cleaning and antisepsis, and for bathing to prevent CLABSI (intravenous catheter associated blood stream infections) and it also should not be used on mucous membranes.

Chlorhexidine gluconate solution designed for oral use is only 0.12%. I would not use anything stronger than this on the vulva, and even then used daily it could cause some toxicity long term.

(KLD)