Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anyone use a bowel therapy Machine called PIE

  1. #1

    Anyone use a bowel therapy Machine called PIE

    I'm looking for someone that has used a machine call PIE? I have an incredibly difficult time for my bowel routine and I was contacted about this machine. From What I understand there's a tube that gets inserted your rectum and it introduces water to loosen up and move the stool out the same tube to a disposable bag. That's all I know that it right now.

    any reviews or information would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly611 View Post
    I'm looking for someone that has used a machine call PIE? I have an incredibly difficult time for my bowel routine and I was contacted about this machine. From What I understand there's a tube that gets inserted your rectum and it introduces water to loosen up and move the stool out the same tube to a disposable bag. That's all I know that it right now.

    any reviews or information would be greatly appreciated.
    You should be able to find some information about the PIE by doing a search here. It's been in production for many years. My former colon rectal specialist had this unit in his office and they used it to prep me for colonoscopy in place of the Draino that most people have to guzzle down to empty out their bowel. It worked like a charm. The downside of the PIE (aside from the steep upfront price and cost of supplies) is that the ability to use it independently poses great difficulty. Learning to use it effectively and safely likely involves a pretty steep learning curve. There have been a few PIE units offered for re-sale here over the years, I suspect because it proved too difficult to use and/or master.

    I presently use the Peristeen anal irrigation system, which is essentially a more efficient enema. It fills the bowel with upwards of a liter of water and then gravity (plus some dig stim, if you can) does the rest. I've been using this for years and my bowel program is, I think, as good as I could ever hope for. I do it daily and the whole shebang takes about 30 minutes +/-.

  3. #3
    As above. Many previous discussions about this on our forums. Use the search function and enter PIE as the search term.

    Here is the company: http://piemed.com/

    This is not cheap. It cannot be done independently (you need a caregiver to administer it). You give it in bed, not on the toilet. Although they claim it cannot cause autonomic dysreflexia, I have seen it do just that. The inventor based this claim on his own experiences, but he was a post-polio quad, not SCI. The disposables run about $35 per bowel program, and it is not easily transported for travel. Set up of the equipment takes about 15 minutes, and it takes about 45 minutes to do the full regimen.

    You don't say in your profile where you live, so it is difficult to make recommendations regarding the Peristeen system, since it has limited availability in some countries (including the USA).

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    When I looked up the peristeen Machine it's not the same as the other one I'm talking about the way it looks. The one I'm talking about actually has like a rectal tube that's put in the fluid goes in and then it leaves through the tube that was inserted with I'm not sure about this but slight suction.
    It goes into like a self-contained bag that you could just throughout away. So it's actually pumping water into by way of an electric pump. The one you had looks like it has a blood pressure cuff bulb inflator that you squeezed to make the water go in. At least that's what I saw when I looked it up.
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    You should be able to find some information about the PIE by doing a search here. It's been in production for many years. My former colon rectal specialist had this unit in his office and they used it to prep me for colonoscopy in place of the Draino that most people have to guzzle down to empty out their bowel. It worked like a charm. The downside of the PIE (aside from the steep upfront price and cost of supplies) is that the ability to use it independently poses great difficulty. Learning to use it effectively and safely likely involves a pretty steep learning curve. There have been a few PIE units offered for re-sale here over the years, I suspect because it proved too difficult to use and/or master.

    I presently use the Peristeen anal irrigation system, which is essentially a more efficient enema. It fills the bowel with upwards of a liter of water and then gravity (plus some dig stim, if you can) does the rest. I've been using this for years and my bowel program is, I think, as good as I could ever hope for. I do it daily and the whole shebang takes about 30 minutes +/-.

  5. #5
    sorry sci-nurse. i live in new jersey. I've been looking for more post on this product but having a hard Time finding stuff. I'll keep looking. You know any of the top your head?


    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    As above. Many previous discussions about this on our forums. Use the search function and enter PIE as the search term.

    Here is the company: http://piemed.com/

    This is not cheap. It cannot be done independently (you need a caregiver to administer it). You give it in bed, not on the toilet. Although they claim it cannot cause autonomic dysreflexia, I have seen it do just that. The inventor based this claim on his own experiences, but he was a post-polio quad, not SCI. The disposables run about $35 per bowel program, and it is not easily transported for travel. Set up of the equipment takes about 15 minutes, and it takes about 45 minutes to do the full regimen.

    You don't say in your profile where you live, so it is difficult to make recommendations regarding the Peristeen system, since it has limited availability in some countries (including the USA).

    (KLD)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly611 View Post
    When I looked up the peristeen Machine it's not the same as the other one I'm talking about the way it looks. The one I'm talking about actually has like a rectal tube that's put in the fluid goes in and then it leaves through the tube that was inserted with I'm not sure about this but slight suction.
    It goes into like a self-contained bag that you could just throughout away. So it's actually pumping water into by way of an electric pump. The one you had looks like it has a blood pressure cuff bulb inflator that you squeezed to make the water go in. At least that's what I saw when I looked it up.
    I
    I'm very well acquainted with the PIE machine; I've used it. The Peristeen is not a machine. I never suggested that they were similar; rather, it is a more highly-engineered enema device. You can find Youtube videos that describe it in more detail.

  7. #7
    stephen, where do you buy the Peristeen online?

  8. #8
    Gotcha Stephen, I've been looking on the forum but maybe I'm searching the wrong way. I still keep looking though.

Similar Threads

  1. Any other therapy machine besides esteem for your hands?
    By mj23 in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 12:21 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 05:59 PM
  3. PDLX Therapy Machine
    By crppled007 in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
  4. Therapy machine
    By Rollin Rick in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM
  5. The Pie bowel machine
    By david65 in forum Care
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 08:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •