Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys

The Doubletree Grand Key Resort by Hilton in Key West is very accessible. The swimming pool is a roll in pool. They also offer free shuttle service to anywhere on the island with a lift equipped shuttle bus. I have stayed here several times with no issues whatsoever.

Great advice, guys. Despite the disclaimer from Hawks Caye that they might not have an accessible room available, my inclination is to go for it. I'll call tomorrow and they said they would try to help us find another hotel with an accessible room. Sometime you just have to go for it. I'm in my 60's now and don't do all the crazy (legal) things I did when I was younger, but going on an adventure keeps you young.

we stayed at the westin key west last February. great accessible room, rollin shower, high toilet ect. I recommend it, great restaurant too.
    http://www.westinkeywestresort.com/
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks, fj. Called Hawks Caye directly yesterday. No prob. W/C accessible room will be waiting for us. Customer service said they have booked many w/c users over the years. I will be checking Captain Alex of the Kalex when I get there. I'll also check http://www.westinkeywestresort.com/.

tasty, please take some pics of the accessible room, including bathroom, and share them with us when u get back.

x2
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Getting back to all of you interested in my trip to Hawk's Caye on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Sorry, no pictures. First, it's about a two hour drive from Key Largo, the northernmost key to Key West, the westernmost key. Hawk's Caye is about in the middle. The reviews are mixed; negative first. Hawk's Caye is a resort with lots of staff, maybe too much staff, a high-end (expensive) restaurant, and lots of undisclosed fees. It was very pricey despite a couple discounts we received. Housekeeping left much to be desired. The room and bathroom were accessible, but I thought the toilet was too high and the shower seat was under the grab bar, forcing me to slide forward another 4 inches or so. Without the grab bar behind it, the seat would have been fine. As it was, the seat was too short to allow me to feel safe. Also, there was no hand-held shower.

The positives: It was absolutely beautiful. The water was so vivid in its blues and greens it looked fake. At night there were lit torches and colored lights wrapped around the palm trees. You could eat inside or outside the restaurant, but eating outside allowed us to watch the ocean and the sea birds. There is a dolphin pool with shows where the staff feed the dolphins and give them their meds. Very charming and entertaining. Management was responsive to any special requests or concerns we had. It was so beautiful, we chose to eat all our meals at the resort as opposed to going off premises, where there are any number of good restaurants, according to the locals. Of course, this added to the expense. Within a few hundred feet of the Hawk's Caye entrance is a marina with 6 charter boats. For those of us who like to fish, you may recognize Capt. Scott Walker and his boat, Tailwalker. Again, the trips were very pricey. Half and full day trips were available. However, I never found half day trips to be worth the trouble. Wreck trips include fishing for grouper, snapper, and whatever else is hanging around the wreck. You can also do mahi-mahi trips that include fishing for black fin tuna. These trips varied from boat to boat; $1200 to $2100 for a full day mahi trip.

We went down on a Sunday and the trip took more than 6 hours from our base in Ft. Myers. The return trip on Tuesday morning was about 5 hours. Despite the negatives I would do it again. However, I would do better research regarding discounts; ask for fee information up front; and eat meals off premises. I would also save money before going, recognizing that it can be a budget breaker. I would also ask management to address the accessibility issues. Hope this helps.

I had a bathroom once where the grab bars were in the way. I called and had a maintenance man promptly come and DE-stal them for the few days I was there.

Kind of late now but I just found this wheelchair accessible place on Duck Key;

http://www.placidaccess.com/index.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    Getting back to all of you interested in my trip to Hawk's Caye on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Sorry, no pictures. First, it's about a two hour drive from Key Largo, the northernmost key to Key West, the westernmost key. Hawk's Caye is about in the middle. The reviews are mixed; negative first. Hawk's Caye is a resort with lots of staff, maybe too much staff, a high-end (expensive) restaurant, and lots of undisclosed fees. It was very pricey despite a couple discounts we received. Housekeeping left much to be desired. The room and bathroom were accessible, but I thought the toilet was too high and the shower seat was under the grab bar, forcing me to slide forward another 4 inches or so. Without the grab bar behind it, the seat would have been fine. As it was, the seat was too short to allow me to feel safe. Also, there was no hand-held shower.

The positives: It was absolutely beautiful. The water was so vivid in its blues and greens it looked fake. At night there were lit torches and colored lights wrapped around the palm trees. You could eat inside or outside the restaurant, but eating outside allowed us to watch the ocean and the sea birds. There is a dolphin pool with shows where the staff feed the dolphins and give them their meds. Very charming and entertaining. Management was responsive to any special requests or concerns we had. It was so beautiful, we chose to eat all our meals at the resort as opposed to going off premises, where there are any number of good restaurants, according to the locals. Of course, this added to the expense. Within a few hundred feet of the Hawk's Caye entrance is a marina with 6 charter boats. For those of us who like to fish, you may recognize Capt. Scott Walker and his boat, Tailwalker. Again, the trips were very pricey. Half and full day trips were available. However, I never found half day trips to be worth the trouble. Wreck trips include fishing for grouper, snapper, and whatever else is hanging around the wreck. You can also do mahi-mahi trips that include fishing for black fin tuna. These trips varied from boat to boat; $1200 to $2100 for a full day mahi trip.

We went down on a Sunday and the trip took more than 6 hours from our base in Ft. Myers. The return trip on Tuesday morning was about 5 hours. Despite the negatives I would do it again. However, I would do better research regarding discounts; ask for fee information up front; and eat meals off premises. I would also save money before going, recognizing that it can be a budget breaker. I would also ask management to address the accessibility issues. Hope this helps.
    Isn't there a high speed boat that travels daily between Ft.Myers and Key West?