Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys

Florida Keys

I've been to FL many times, but have never visited the Keys due to accessibility concerns. I would be driving from SW FL, but I would like to surprise my wife with a 1-2 night trip to the Keys. I know that she would like a water view. I am concerned about accessibility and value. I only need a 28" bathroom door and tub bench. Any info concerning accessible fishing charters in the same area would be a bonus, but something I really want to do. Marathon and Islamorada are my preferences, but will consider any facility that meets the above. Looking forward to some input. Thanks.

I haven't been but when I did a little research I found a whole bunch of accessible condos. They also have a big SNUBA program there. They might be a good source of info too.

We took the high speed catamaran out of Ft. Myers to Key West. It took 4 or 5 hours and it was a great ride. Great way to travel!

http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/

We're actually not that far from the catamaran, but I would like to drive as I need to get around to set up a fishing charter for my fishing buddies. Of course, the farther north I go, the shorter the trip, but I want a nice hotel where I can speak to the captains. Keep the posts coming.

hawks cay is a nice place on duck key pretty close to islamorada, it's a little pricey compared to others but its nicer too !!!!!!!

http://www.hawkscay.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    hawks cay is a nice place on duck key pretty close to islamorada, it's a little pricey compared to others but its nicer too !!!!!!!

http://www.hawkscay.com/
    GJ2, I took your advice and made reservations at Hawks Caye. It is pricey, but I got a little bit of a break by using Expedia. Now I need information on some fishing charter captain in the area.

Tasty,
    I would appreciate if you can give us some feedback on your experience at Hawks Caye and how accessible the area is. Have a great vacation.

Joe, interestingly I received an email this AM that they cannot guarantee an accessible room for our stay. I have to call to see what that means. I don't need much, just a wide bathroom door and a tub bench and handheld. I'll post again.

Keys fishing

Have fun on the trip, I've done it many a time leaving from Ft Myers and Miami. The drive is beautiful, a little tedious after a couple of times! The fishing is great out of islamorada, also everything is a bit cheaper there and less of a drive than key west. That being said, I would recommend doing Key west once for sure.

Deep sea fishing can be hit or miss as there are alot of options, best time I've ever had out there was with Captain Alex...

http://budnmarys.com/kalex.html

This guy knew where to catch every species of fish imaginable, on a day where many other boats got skunked.

Have fun!
    RYAN

Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    I've been to FL many times, but have never visited the Keys due to accessibility concerns. I would be driving from SW FL, but I would like to surprise my wife with a 1-2 night trip to the Keys. I know that she would like a water view. I am concerned about accessibility and value. I only need a 28" bathroom door and tub bench. Any info concerning accessible fishing charters in the same area would be a bonus, but something I really want to do. Marathon and Islamorada are my preferences, but will consider any facility that meets the above. Looking forward to some input. Thanks.

Sounds Good. My wife and I want to visit the keys someday too. I heard it is great but need a the same items as you. I get around well. I did email the company but no reply. Two other places friends recommended to me was the Pier House and Ocean Key resort. They also have a Hyatt and Windom hotel near Duvual street. You might want to check them. My friend said all of them is very accessible.