Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evangelical helpers

Blog Entries
    It's not Christianity at fault, but the caregiver's interpretation of it. I would tell the person to quit preaching or you will have to seek a replacement. I am assuming you can do that under your circumstances.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

None of us here can get into her mind or know her as well as you, but it sounds like the caregiver you're talking about cares about you. Probably (hopefully), so do the other people proselytizing you. Honest, caring, non-coercive proselytization isn't bad; it's just a way to win your understanding and loyalty to a cause. It's required by many religions. It's best done through acts of caring, altruism, example, or a reasoned approach, but many times people let their own pride, ego, or enthusiasm guide them into taking it too far. It sounds like it has taken you about as far as you can stand.

Try taking an honest, reasoned approach yourself. Tell her, respectively, how you feel about her preaching. If she forgets, remind her she's not winning you over; instead, she's turning you off. Be firm. I would not advise you to start out by using insults or snarky cleverness. It's certainly not incorrect for you to warn her that she may lose her job. She does work for you, after all.

It is very unprofessional behavior on her part and she has crossed the line. Sit her down and tell her so, communicating to her in no uncertain terms to cease and desist. You should not have to listen to constant proselytizing in your own home.

I agree. She is your employee. If you object to her sermonizing to you, you have to tell her, and also tell her that if it continues, you will be forced to let her go. Don't let her try to extort you out of this by threatening to leave you without care. There are other caregivers out there who will respect you as a person...you just need to look for them.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Why must every religion need to tell others they are wrong and going to hell unless saved by choosing the right spiritual sports team?
    My take is that these are the only religions that stick around. In a modern society full of science and options, if you're adhering to a centuries old philosophy-taken-as-ultimate-truth, then the only way people are going to continue believing in your nonsense is if you convert new members... Otherwise it will wither and die as a thousand religions before it have.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    "Your God is supposed to be an all knowing, all loving God. If he was all knowing, he knew I would be injured and allowed it to happen. He is supposed to be all loving; how is he all loving and allowing this to happen to me and others?"

"Your Jesus, had three days of torture and took the easy way out; the same Savior is making me spend a lifetime of torment with a ticket to Hell if I decide to end it myself. Talk to me when your Jesus spends more than three days in pain."
    I've had the same thoughts about Jesus compared to people with lifelong severe pain problems. I'm Jewish, too, so why isn't there a religion named after me? I must be suffering for somebody. Three whole days of pain-I passed that mark over 33 years ago.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    My take is that these are the only religions that stick around. In a modern society full of science and options, if you're adhering to a centuries old philosophy-taken-as-ultimate-truth, then the only way people are going to continue believing in your nonsense is if you convert new members... Otherwise it will wither and die as a thousand religions before it have.
    I agree. Judaism came before Christianity and Islam, but, while those religions each have over 1.5 billion followers of varying sects, there aren't very many Jews left. Why not? IMO, because Judaism teaches that righteous Gentiles can get eternal reward, so there was no reason to make everybody Jewish. Christianity and Islam both include the exclusivity clause, which says that all people who don't believe as they do are doomed to eternal damnation, so those people must either be converted or killed to save their souls.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I've had the same thoughts about Jesus compared to people with lifelong severe pain problems. I'm Jewish, too, so why isn't there a religion named after me? I must be suffering for somebody. Three whole days of pain-I passed that mark over 33 years ago.
    Alan of Baltimore *does* have a nice ring to it...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Judaism came before Christianity and Islam, but, while those religions each have over 1.5 billion followers of varying sects, there aren't very many Jews left. Why not? IMO, because Judaism teaches that righteous Gentiles can get eternal reward, so there was no reason to make everybody Jewish.
    The Holocaust also can account for 5-6 million or so...

(KLD)

We respond "Why, bless your heart" to everyone who randomly stops and says they'll pray for us. It's Southernese for "You're an idiot".
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 01-25-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Language