Thread: incomplete c5-c7

incomplete c5-c7

My husband was in a motorcycle accident January 9. At the scene of the accident he couldn't feel his right side and barely move his right arm and leg and could not move the hand. They only did CAT scan and basically said if you can walk you can go home. he did have a follow up with his primary care physician and had an MRI done on Friday the 16th. The radiologist call his primary doctor that same day and then was admitted into the hospital so he can speak to a neurosurgeon which we just did about about an hour ago. The neuro surgeon has stated that he has suffered an incomplete spinal cord injury at c5-c7. he has regained a little bit of hand function and is able to walk without a walker at this stage but the surgeon said he does want him to have surgery to decompress c5-c7. He said the only issue is us deciding on timing.

Our questions are should we wait to see if more function comes back and would decompressing help. the surgeon explained the benefits of decompressing would be to remove pressure, remove spurs and remove the high-risk causing worse damage from any further falls etc.

also can somebody on here please tell me how to attach a word doc so I can attached the MRI report he had injuries over 10 years old and always been in chronic pain.

My husband is lunasicc42's dad
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Was he at a trauma center when he was first injured? If in the USA, his care was certainly not within the standard of care.

Does he have any sensory deficits on his left side? This would go along with a Brown-Sequard incomplete injury.

The current thinking is that early decompression is important, rather than delaying decompression, as this allows cord and/or root impingement to be relieved, and also to assure bony stability. There is some risk of making things worse, but that goes along with any spine surgery. I would opt to have the surgery as soon as possible, as long as this is an experienced and expert neurosurgeon.

He should also see a rehab physician and get scheduled for some outpatient therapy (both OT and PT).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Was he at a trauma center when he was first injured? If in the USA, his care was certainly not within the standard of care.

Does he have any sensory deficits on his left side? This would go along with a Brown-Sequard incomplete injury.

The current thinking is that early decompression is important, rather than delaying decompression, as this allows cord and/or root impingement to be relieved, and also to assure bony stability. There is some risk of making things worse, but that goes along with any spine surgery. I would opt to have the surgery as soon as possible, as long as this is an experienced and expert neurosurgeon.

He should also see a rehab physician and get scheduled for some outpatient therapy (both OT and PT).

(KLD)
    yes he was taken to Tampa General that is a Level 1 trauma center and yes we are thinking why they did not take further care options like MRI or consult a neurosurgeon at that time since he clearly stated and showed the weakness and non hand movement on the right side. . .

we are not sure if the compression is chronic from past injuries and disk disease and has been there for a long time or if it is something that occurred when traumatized in accident. Would the thinking be that it does not matter if the compression is chronic and the surgery is needed no matter what. We have made a follow up with the neurosurgon to ask more questions. The neurosurgeon has very good reviews and is with University of South Florida. I think i've attached the MRI report but not sure
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

how do i put an attachment in a reply!! Is this possible
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Is it a document or a jpg? For a document (best if a PDF) use the little paperclip (under Go Advanced), if a jpg, then use the small square icon with the tree in it in the quick reply window.

(KLD)

I've tried PDF and a doc file. I don't see a little paperclip but i went to manage attachments but when I add upload it it has a red exclamation mark next to it and does not put it into the window where I then should be able to drag it down to attach??

I don't see either of those two things you mention anywhere. I only see manage attachments when I choose go advanced Is there a technical topic forum and I have submitted a site feedback to webmaster? Because this has hindered me in the past as well.
    Last edited by waters3; 01-20-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

You must be using Windows (the menu is much better with a Mac) but even with my Windows computer at work I see the little square icon with the tree in it, even in the basic response window. I also was able to do it using the Attachments section below (using Advanced). If you see a red exclaimation mark, the file is too big. Try downsizing it or posting in sections.

Keep in mind that an MRI cannot diagnose a SCI, and we cannot provide a medical diagnoses based on an MRI or the MRI report.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-20-2015 at 01:38 PM.