Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Date: 20 Jan 2014

Collagen scaffolds modified with collagen-binding bFGF promotes the neural regeneration in a rat hemisected spinal cord injury model

Abstract

Nerve conduit is one of strategies for spine cord injury (SCI) treatment. Recently, studies showed that biomaterials could guide the neurite growth and promote axon regeneration at the injury site. However, the scaffold by itself was difficult to meet the need of SCI functional recovery. The basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) administration significantly promotes functional recovery after organ injuries. Here, using a rat model of T9 hemisected SCI, we aimed at assessing the repair capacity of implantation of collagen scaffold (CS) modified by collagen binding bFGF (CBD-bFGF). The results showed that CS combined with CBD-bFGF treatment improved survival rates after the lateral hemisection SCI. The CS/CBD-bFGF group showed more significant improvements in motor than the simply CS-implanted and untreated control group, when evaluated by the 21-point Basso-Beattie-Bresnahan (BBB) score and footprint analysis. Both hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) and immunohistochemical staining of neurofilament (NF) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) demonstrated that fibers were guided to grow through the implants. These findings indicated that administration of CS modified with CBD-bFGF could promote spinal cord regeneration and functional recovery.

http://link.springer.com/article/10....427-014-4612-7

next step
    预计临床研究第二阶段将在3月份进行:筛选临床研究受试者20-25例,手术后进行系统康复训练、心理干预和营养调节,通过1年左右的临床观察,对疗效进行初步评 估。
    参与脊髓损伤临床研究的医院联系方式:
    中国武警脑科医院(天津):022-60577134,韩医生、云医生在;邮箱:wjnkyyn12@126.com
    苏州大学附属第一医院(苏州):0512-67780101,周医生、史医生;邮箱:sdfyyspine@163.com
    解放军总医院第一附属医院(北京):010-66848873,杨医生、梁医生;邮箱:spinalcord304tang@163.com

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    next step
    预计临床研究第二阶段将在3月份进行:筛选临床研究受试者20-25例,手术后进行系统康复训练、心理干预和营养调节,通过1年左右的临床观察,对疗效进行初步评 估。
    参与脊髓损伤临床研究的医院联系方式:
    中国武警脑科医院(天津):022-60577134,韩医生、云医生在;邮箱:wjnkyyn12@126.com
    苏州大学附属第一医院(苏州):0512-67780101,周医生、史医生;邮箱:sdfyyspine@163.com
    解放军总医院第一附属医院(北京):010-66848873,杨医生、梁医生;邮箱:spinalcord304tang@163.com
    google translate:

"The second phase is expected to be in a clinical study conducted in March: screening of clinical research subjects 20-25 cases for system rehabilitation after surgery, psychological intervention and nutritional regulation, through clinical observation of a year or so, a preliminary assessment of efficacy.

Spinal cord injury clinical research participation Hospital Contact:

Brain Hospital of Chinese People's Armed Police (Tianjin): 022-60577134, Dr. Han, cloud doctor; E-mail: wjnkyyn12@126.com
    First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University (Suzhou): 0512-67780101, Dr. Zhou, Dr. Shi; E-mail: sdfyyspine@163.com
    First Affiliated Hospital of PLA General Hospital (Beijing): 010-66848873, Dr. Yang, Dr Leung; E-mail: spinalcord304tang@163.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jyi View Post
    Date: 20 Jan 2014

Collagen scaffolds modified with collagen-binding bFGF promotes the neural regeneration in a rat hemisected spinal cord injury model

Abstract

Nerve conduit is one of strategies for spine cord injury (SCI) treatment. Recently, studies showed that biomaterials could guide the neurite growth and promote axon regeneration at the injury site. However, the scaffold by itself was difficult to meet the need of SCI functional recovery. The basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) administration significantly promotes functional recovery after organ injuries. Here, using a rat model of T9 hemisected SCI, we aimed at assessing the repair capacity of implantation of collagen scaffold (CS) modified by collagen binding bFGF (CBD-bFGF). The results showed that CS combined with CBD-bFGF treatment improved survival rates after the lateral hemisection SCI. The CS/CBD-bFGF group showed more significant improvements in motor than the simply CS-implanted and untreated control group, when evaluated by the 21-point Basso-Beattie-Bresnahan (BBB) score and footprint analysis. Both hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) and immunohistochemical staining of neurofilament (NF) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) demonstrated that fibers were guided to grow through the implants. These findings indicated that administration of CS modified with CBD-bFGF could promote spinal cord regeneration and functional recovery.

http://link.springer.com/article/10....427-014-4612-7

acute, incomplete injury, & no clear imaging of axons past injury site.
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 03-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.

From the download PDF document page 4

“At four and eight weeks, the density of linear fibrous tissues and cell infiltration were significantly increased in and around the scaffold of CS/ bFGF group compared to those of the control and CS-treated groups (Figure 6). The H&E staining also showed that CS degraded gradually with the
    time went on.
    The CS/bFGF group showed higher NF-positive neural fiber density than that of the control and CS group. Besides, the NF-positive neural fibers could extend into the scaffold, and grew along with the direction of CS. The NF-positive fibers were hardly observed in and around SCI sites in the control and CS-treated group (Figure 7).”

NF → neurofilament
    Is the NF-positive neural fiber = axon ? I don’t know.

Thank you Jyi and East Dragon for updates.

Hope some results will be there this summer from this phase two trial if positive.

Jyi, East Dragon any news that they taking all injury patients in phase two or not yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyi View Post
    From the download PDF document page 4

?At four and eight weeks, the density of linear fibrous tissues and cell infiltration were significantly increased in and around the scaffold of CS/ bFGF group compared to those of the control and CS-treated groups (Figure 6). The H&E staining also showed that CS degraded gradually with the
    time went on.
    The CS/bFGF group showed higher NF-positive neural fiber density than that of the control and CS group. Besides, the NF-positive neural fibers could extend into the scaffold, and grew along with the direction of CS. The NF-positive fibers were hardly observed in and around SCI sites in the control and CS-treated group (Figure 7).?

NF → neurofilament
    Is the NF-positive neural fiber = axon ? I don?t know.

Are you responding to me? If so, I'm not talking about words, I'm talking about images. I want to see clear as day axon growth, that a layman like me can see and believe. The images in the article are not clear and not easy to see what is occurring. I see those images many times in bum studies. I want to see something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Are you responding to me? If so, I'm not talking about words, I'm talking about images. I want to see clear as day axon growth, that a layman like me can see and believe. The images in the article are not clear and not easy to see what is occurring. I see those images many times in bum studies. I want to see something like this:

What study is that picture from
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I've always been curious do we need to fully connect (as in all of those red lines exactly the way they should be across the injury) the cord and axons in order to have full function, full use of our bodies?