Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think the mocking that is going on here is helpful.
    Either way, the people being treated are not chronic anyway. Maybe they'll quit subjecting chronics to bone marrow cell injections over and over and over and over again while expecting a different outcome every time. It's become an inhumane problem and most people are absolutely oblivious to it or could care less what's been going on the past decades. Poorly designed clinical trials and history repeats itself for decades in all different countries. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone57 View Post
    I agree, too many buzz killers here.
    You really think all the people that sacrificed their health and injured cords from around the world only did so just to become a buzz for a couple weeks here? Their contribution to the SCI community shouldn't have amounted to nothing more than that? How sad they're used for buzz value and their contribution to science is forgotten and ignored. Lather..rinse..repeat..
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.

No that's not it at all. Sitting In a wheelchair sucks, I've been doing it for 6 years now and many people on here for much longer. All I'm saying is when some trial is happening somewhere and all the facts aren't in yet, do we have to kill it before we know the outcome? Is that unreasonable, I'm just trying to hold on to some hope here. I'm not advocating for frivolous claims. I apologize if I've offended anyone and I'll keep my comments to myself. I thank you for all you've done and will be following silently, this forum is a difficult place to navigate. Wish you only the best.

Good news! Another C5 paitent's feeling have gotten recover from the chest to the belly button.

Quote Originally Posted by east dragon View Post
    Good news! Another C5 paitent's feeling have gotten recover from the chest to the belly button.
    This treatment blows Dr. Young's UCB + lithium out of the water!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone57 View Post
    All I'm saying is when some trial is happening somewhere and all the facts aren't in yet, do we have to kill it before we know the outcome? Is that unreasonable, I'm just trying to hold on to some hope here. I apologize if I've offended anyone.

No offense taken. It's reasonable if you actually believe your spinal cord needs ligament, bone or cartilage in it to have functional return since I haven't seen that they do a whole lot more... Until the community moves beyond watching for the latest media cure blitz and realizes they're actually reading about virtually the same cell trial being ran every couple of years repeatedly then the outcome won't be different, only the forum participants that come and go along the way changes. I must apologize. I'm the one that's become a party pooper and need to go elsewhere to barf over the redundancy of a sad situation that brings others such joy and dreams of miracles when most do not know what constitutes a "chronic" injury or have any interest in what type of cell is being injected into them or what's already been tested multiple times in others.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-23-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    This treatment blows Dr. Young's UCB + lithium out of the water!!!
    Yup. The cured are now being pumped out at lightening speed. We have belly button but no bowel, bladder and sex yet. Darn.

I agree bone marrow stem cells don't show much promise yet keep getting used, it's infuriating. But they stated they plan to use neural stem cells in The future for more regeneration, hopefully for the phase 2. Now I understand the repetitive use in terms of cells, but I don't think anyone has used a collagen scaffolding lined with growth factors and stem cells on a human spinal cord. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that that hasn't been done before.

Also six patients were enrolled in this phase 1 trial so far we don't know all of their time since injury, so some may be over a year post aka chronic in some peoples opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I agree bone marrow stem cells don't show much promise yet keep getting used, it's infuriating. But they stated they plan to use neural stem cells in The future for more regeneration, hopefully for the phase 2. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    They do not suddenly change cell type midstream in a trial. If the group wants to test a different cell type such as a neural cell, it starts at a Phase 1 safety in it's own trial like all the rest. It doesn't start at a Phase 2. Stem cell types are not mixed and matched in a trial like apples and oranges. Bone marrow stem cells are a pretty cheap and easy source. They've been injected into human SCI many, many times.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-23-2015 at 04:46 PM.

@James, Why change the stem cell if they are getting recovery of movement & sensation in complete SCI? That is unprecedented recovery (I don't believe the "results" at all). Why change the cell type?
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 02-22-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    @James, Why change the stem cell if they are getting recovery of movement & sensation in complete SCI? That is unprecedented recovery (I don't believe the "results" at all). Why change the cell type?

Very odd
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature