Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    One must wonder why if the scaffold worked so well without stem cells (unprecedented results! Dogs walking after complete transection!) why would they add stem cells to their therapy in humans?
    I wonder too. I guess it looks to be the testing of various cell types and different medical conditions available at that hospital or something.

You pointed out a good question Grammy, why don't they just push forward with the nerve stem cells and/or nerve growth factor with the collagen fold. Like you said apparently they know it safe, and they said that they plan to use these for more potential in regeneration. Why not just go for gold get to the good stuff, not procrastinating with bone marrow stem cells sesh.

Dumb question but the scaffold technology potentially grows into the spinal cord correct? Meaning It stays there for remainder of The patients life? Collagen is the main structural protein of connective tissue right, so it's pretty abundant in our bodies, so it shouldn't be rejected or cause damage did anyway as collagen protein should already be in the spinal cord right? Here's the really dumb part, why does it look so artificial, it looks like A bunch of string.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this but it looks so promising. In my twenty years with a spinal cord injury there have been a lot of let downs... but I have noticed that each one progresses past the last one. It's just a long road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not to mention, there is NO way to predict how animal experiments will translate into humans. If ChinaSCINet had done studies in large animals, they would not have yet completed Phase II in humans. They made the right call going forward in humans, as you will clearly see when results are published.
    Can I presume that you will be receiving the UCB + lithium + methylpresnidone(sp.) therapy as soon as it (if it) becomes available to the States?

I'm 99% sure that even Dr. Young would agree with me about the importance of animal studies. You should ask him. From my understanding, he said it was not possible to test his therapy in animals due to HLA matching of the UCB (which if true, makes it a special case)(how did you not know this?). He never said he skipped the studies because they are a waste of time.
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 02-03-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I wonder too. I guess it looks to be the testing of various cell types and different medical conditions available at that hospital or something.
    Are you a doubter Grammy? Get your negativity off this forum!

They got dogs to walk with NO STEM CELLS. BEST RECOVERY in HISTORY! (Yet they decide to add stem cells in their human trial. No one here has ready the study). Oh well...a chinese news article says "Paralysed dogs walk again in breakthrough spinal cord experiment by Chinese scientists" That's good enough for me.

This is it the end is near.

I admire your excitement for dogs. Even though they walk on 4's compared to us on 2's and the fact that their cords are not as complex as ours... Oh well, as long you're happy, good for you.

BTW, I'm a doubter, what's wrong with that in your world? tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Are you a doubter Grammy? Get your negativity off this forum!

They got dogs to walk with NO STEM CELLS. BEST RECOVERY in HISTORY! (Yet they decide to add stem cells in their human trial. No one here has ready the study). Oh well...a chinese news article says "Paralysed dogs walk again in breakthrough spinal cord experiment by Chinese scientists" That's good enough for me.

This is it the end is near.
    Last edited by Moe; 02-03-2015 at 09:20 PM.

And we all know how inferior the Chinese neurosurgeons and scientists are.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I admire your excitement for dogs. Even though they walk on 4's compared to us on 2's and the fact that their cords are not as complex as ours... Oh well, as long you're happy, good for you.

BTW, I'm a doubter, what's wrong with that in your world? tell me...
    So what if they walk on all 4's? Their spinal cords are damn complex, close enough to a humans. If a treatment causes robust regeneration and recovery of limbs in a complete transected dog, I see no reason why substantial recovery would not also be seen in humans. It's almost a guarantee to also work in humans (assuming it had worked in complete transected dogs). Why would a Chinese news article claim that the dogs walked if it weren't true? That kind of thing never happens over here. News stories never over-hype. They're experts.