Thread: Changes in attendant care in Pennsylvania

Changes in attendant care in Pennsylvania

Department of Health has issued a ruling that in-home care can no longer provide intermittent catheterization. They feel it is something that should be performed by a skilled/licensed worker. The Department Of Long-Term Living feels that this is a maintenance activity that does not require someone having a license. My care is provided through Act I50, which has no allowance for any type of skilled care. The people in this category would have to hire someone privately for this. Virtually impossible in the real world. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, if they are going through this horrible decision in Pennsylvania. Help is appreciated.

I would start by talking to people at your local Indepenedent Living Center, and see if they are taking on this regulation change already, and join in their efforts. I would suggest a partnership between the ILCs and the large rehabilitation hospitals who do SCI care (such as Magee and Thomas Jefferson in Philly), and others throughout the state, as this has great potential to negatively impact their discharge planning options for new injuries. You can also see if the local PVA chapters will help you, although they often are not interested in issues that are not directly related to Veterans; and most Veterans do not qualify for state funded attendant care. Lastly, I would definitely call both United Spinal Association/NSCIA and the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. Both can help with lobbying state legislators, and with possible amicas briefs if this has to go to court. Good luck. Sad to say, I would NOT anticipate support from the state nurses organization, as they will view this as a positive for their members pocketbooks!!

(KLD)

DOH decision in Pennsylvania regarding urinary catheterization

The PA Department of Health has decided that intermittent urinary catheterization should now be informed by a licensed person instead of a caregiver. The problem with this decision is that the PA waiver Act 150 has zero allowance for any type of skilled care. So, this population of people have no options. The decision to make a maintenance activity like urinary catheterization something to be performed by a licensed nurse is only workable on paper. You cannot make such a decision without giving someone an alternative. People that are in Act 150 only have two choices with this decision. The first would be to hire someone through the Consumer Employer model which is not easy. DOH is thinking that infection rates will be decreased if this activity is performed by a licensed person. But, with allowing an individual to hire someone through the Consumer Employer Model they are in a sense contradicting themselves because that individual would not have to be licensed. The second option someone in Act 150 would have is nursing home placement if that person is unable to employ someone through the Consumer Employer Model. I am a Registered Nurse who became disabled in 1993. I currently work and have been able to be independent because of my services through in-home attendant care. It would be ludicrous for me to potentially have nursing home placement because of something as simple as urinary catheterization.
    I would appreciate anyone who is involved in this situation to reach out and try to help. The disabled community of Pennsylvania needs as many voices to be heard as possible.
    Thank you.