Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Drive mx1+ questions/issues

It's hard for me to tell what your picture shows, but it does not look correct. I would contact Max-Mobility for direction on what to do next. Here is a photo of my battery. (maybe)
    Name:  SD battery.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  139.5 KB
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yea mine doesn't look as flat under there as yours. I'll get in contact with them and see what they say. Thanks

Nonoise - they sent me a replacement battery, but it still has a little hump under the clip, not as bad as the original though. Would you mind taking a picture up closer, right through the thin space under the clip? Toward the front of the battery, there is a seam in the plastic that runs under the clip, thats what I need a pic of under the clip. Just want to make sure yours is as flat at the first pic you posted. Thanks

heres the new one:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  110.4 KB
    Last edited by Brad09; 01-21-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Nonoise - they sent me a replacement battery, but it still has a little hump under the clip, not as bad as the original though. Would you mind taking a picture up closer, right through the thin space under the clip? Toward the front of the battery, there is a seam in the plastic that runs under the clip, thats what I need a pic of under the clip. Just want to make sure yours is as flat at the first pic you posted. Thanks
    I'll be glad to help if I can. They must have had a bad run of cases and or changed the design. I do not understand your picture of where or how the hump occurs. On all (lol) the batteries I've ever seen there is a seam about an inch from the end of the clip. I will pry open my clip and try to get a better picture for you.

Edit:
    I saw your new picture. How the heck did you take that? Anyway, mine is flat. I'll try to show you as soon as my camera battery charges.

Second edit:
    I am having trouble with getting an accurate picture. I do not have a bulge, but with better light I was very surprised to see I have a *dip* very similar to what your picture looks like. I know it's a dip because I looked at it very carefully. You might turn your's and sight it in alignment the way I took my first photo and see if it still looks like a bulge or a dip.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-21-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks, I just stuck my phones camera right against the opening under the clip. When you say a dip, are you meaning it's going into the battery instead of sticking out like mine?

Thanks, I just stuck my phones camera right against the opening under the clip. When you say a dip, are you meaning it's going into the battery instead of sticking out like mine?
    I don't have a camera phone. Maybe that is why I am having trouble, my lens might be too wide to see through the opening up close.
    Mine goes into the battery, down, but are you sure yours sticks up? I ask because if I look at it through the camera at the angle you used, it looks like yours, that is up. Look or take a picture a right angles to the seam and see what it looks like.

Here's what it looks like looking down the seam, it's not much but you can tell:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  77.3 KB
    However, after putting a piece of black tape over the front of my sling to stiffen the edge that got bent/folded from the last battery, it slides on all the way now. I guess the little hump in the new one was small enough to let the sling slide past it. Nonoise, thanks for all of your help!

Also, for those interested in the questions about the battery, I got some info from Max Mobility. Here is the response to my email:

"When the Smartdrive is powered on but not running it does not use much power at all, leaving it on is okay. If it has been a few days between charges then you can turn it off to preserve if you want.

Leaving your battery in the car at freezing temps is okay, I do it all the time and never had any problems. The battery can withstand extreme conditions and still work the same."

So, that's good to know. Just wanted to pass that on.

Also, for those interested in the questions about the battery, I got some info from Max Mobility. Here is the response to my email:
    "When the Smartdrive is powered on but not running it does not use much power at all, leaving it on is okay. If it has been a few days between charges then you can turn it off to preserve if you want.
    Leaving your battery in the car at freezing temps is okay, I do it all the time and never had any problems. The battery can withstand extreme conditions and still work the same."
    So, that's good to know. Just wanted to pass that on.

folllow up thoughts:
    I wish there was a battery charge indicator anywhere on the unit. We never know the state of the battery until the it's recharged and how long it took to recharge it.

It's good to read their take on the safety of leaving the battery out in the freezing cold, but I'm reading that the cold they are talking about is Nashville's cold, My trike battery survived in the garage just fine last winter so I'm not going to worry about it, YMMV.

I learned from this that cell phone cameras can take certain pictures that pocket cameras cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    folllow up thoughts:
    I wish there was a battery charge indicator anywhere on the unit. We never know the state of the battery until the it's recharged and how long it took to recharge it.

It's good to read their take on the safety of leaving the battery out in the freezing cold, but I'm reading that the cold they are talking about is Nashville's cold, My trike battery survived in the garage just fine last winter so I'm not going to worry about it, YMMV.

I learned from this that cell phone cameras can take certain pictures that pocket cameras cannot.
    yea, an indicator would be nice. I do remember reading in the manual that the led's on the buttons are supposed to blink three times when the battery is down to 30% capacity. However I've never seen that happen, maybe I haven't run the battery down that far yet.

I also asked about battery and motor lifespans and they said the battery is good for 1500 full charges and they have seen the motors last over two years. I was hoping the motor would last longer than that, right? Typically, if insurance covers the original equipment, do they replace it when it wears out?