Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Drive mx1+ questions/issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smart Drive mx1+ questions/issues

Im having trouble getting the battery to slide all the way onto the standard sling seat pan on my ZRA. It gets to about an inch left and the sling starts to bunch or fold making it hard to get the battery all the way on. Anyone else have this happen, or have a solution?

Few questions that I didn't see covered in the manual:
    1. When it is on, but you are stationary is it using much battery, or is it only when the motor is running? So if I am not going to be moving for a while should I turn it off?

2. Does leaving it in my car overnight, around freezing temps in my garage, going to hurt anything? In particular the battery life?

thanks

I haven't had your problems with the seat sling but I have a carbon fiber solid seat pan and use the accessory sling provided by Max Mobility and it's worked well. I don't know about how much power is being used by the battery when not moving. My guess is that it is almost nothing. I do turn my power off if I am not using the drive though so I don't accidentally cause it to engage. I actually had that happen once. I got home with laundry and transferred from my chair with the SD, left the SD on and when I shoved the chair to move it out of my way, it took off. Kind of funny actually and it was in Indoor mode so it stopped when it hit something but I thought, whoa, what if I left it in Outdoor mode and that happened. I would have been chasing my chair all over the place.

The freezing temperatures and the Lithium battery, I think that's a question to ask Max Mobility, just to be safe. It doesn't get that cold where I am.

If your seat upholstery has the cell phone pocket built into it, you need to pull out the stitching and remove the pocket.

I don't think the cold from sitting garaged overnight will physically damage a lithium battery, though a cold battery won't operate as efficiently as a warm one.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    If your seat upholstery has the cell phone pocket built into it, you need to pull out the stitching and remove the pocket.

I don't think the cold from sitting garaged overnight will physically damage a lithium battery, though a cold battery won't operate as efficiently as a warm one.
    Thanks, I have already taken the stitching out of that pocket, never used it anyway. That's why this has me so stumped. I sent max mobility an email about the battery questions so I'll let yall know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Thanks, I have already taken the stitching out of that pocket, never used it anyway. That's why this has me so stumped. I sent max mobility an email about the battery questions so I'll let yall know what they say.
    Can you grab a photo of the upholstery issue? Is the battery catching on anything in the back?

Different battery types are affected differently by temperatures. Alkaline batteries have the most energy at 100 F. Lead acid are different, lithium are different and there are different kinds of lithium. I think manufacturers are the best source for the properties of a particular battery. Good tip on the cell phone pocket though, that could be the problem. I wonder if anyone uses that pocket. Everyone I know keep a phone in their pants pocket or in a bag on their chair.

Hm, I'm stumped about the upholstery too. Eager to hear what you learn from Max Mobility about the battery. Mine doesn't deal with cold temperatures but who knows where I might go one day.

I'll try to take a picture tonight, I don't think it's catching in the back. I have to pull the cord through the bar under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Im having trouble getting the battery to slide all the way onto the standard sling seat pan on my ZRA. It gets to about an inch left and the sling starts to bunch or fold making it hard to get the battery all the way on. Anyone else have this happen, or have a solution?

Few questions that I didn't see covered in the manual:
    1. When it is on, but you are stationary is it using much battery, or is it only when the motor is running? So if I am not going to be moving for a while should I turn it off?
    2. Does leaving it in my car overnight, around freezing temps in my garage, going to hurt anything? In particular the battery life?
    thanks
    I suspect there is a snag or bump in the battery plastic that should not be there that causes too much congestion when you shove the battery all the way in the seat sling. Try sliding something else in the battery slot and see if it will go all the way in.

1. The motor is what draws the big watts, not the standby mode, so don't worry about battery use there. Besides this battery is way overrated for it's intended use. But you do want to be comfortable about not accidentally bumping that switch into outdoor mode. So if that is of any concern, turn it off. If you are good with the switch, leave it on, I do now.

2. This probably will get controversial. I read another forum called endless sphere. From those posters and references that I trust, what I believe is they say do not let your battery freeze. One thing to think about is that there is at least one printed circuit board inside that case just for the battery. There could be another pcb for the SmartDrive's controller. Freezing and then warming when used could bring on condensation. You know what water does.

That said, I have a trike and a bike in the garage with lithium batteries that have gone through two 20 degree cold snaps this winter. Nuts, but the batteries did not get warmed from use, so hopefully no condensation. The other thing they say is lithium batteries prefer to be stored cold...that's how those two got left out there. My SmartDrive battery usually gets carried in the house.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-16-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the responses. Nonoise - I think you're right about the battery. I'm not sure about yalls, but mine has a raised part on the battery under the clip about an inch from the end, towards the front. That is what is catching on the sling:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  117.3 KB

Not sure if its supposed to be that way or if there is a way to fix it?
    Last edited by Brad09; 01-16-2015 at 10:48 AM.