Thread: Marriage = Loss of Benefits

Marriage = Loss of Benefits

Anyone not get married because you would lose SS and Medicare? Any information is appreciated.

This is the case for a number of my clients in relationship to income based benefits. This would not include Medicare, but it would include Medicaid. It does not impact SSDI, but it can impact SSI.

Not sure what is available in FL, but in CA there is a provision in the law for a religious-only marriage ceremony. This does not record the marriage legally, but allows you to satisfy family and religious issues around living together. It is important though that there be protections for the partner, such as a will, power of attorney, etc. since the partner will not have those rights that are normally entitled to a legal spouse.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This is the case for a number of my clients in relationship to income based benefits. This would not include Medicare, but it would include Medicaid. It does not impact SSDI, but it can impact SSI.

Not sure what is available in FL, but in CA there is a provision in the law for a religious-only marriage ceremony. This does not record the marriage legally, but allows you to satisfy family and religious issues around living together. It is important though that there be protections for the partner, such as a will, power of attorney, etc. since the partner will not have those rights that are normally entitled to a legal spouse.

(KLD)
    Thanks for your reply! I was paralyzed at age 17 so when my dad started drawing social security I was able to draw off of him (I didn't work enough quarters to get it on my own) plus I get Medicare. I'm engaged and read that if we get married I will lose my social security and Medicare benefits because I will not be my dads dependent anymore. We have decided to not to get married for those reasons. We are going to have a commitment ceremony (but no legal documents) and she is changing her last name to mine. She will also be my power of attorney. It's not what we were wanting to do but I can't give up my benefits.