Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ya folks hear about Whill yet?

Ya folks hear about Whill yet?

I didn't really see much in search except for a clamp on device (perhaps an earlier version), so I thought I'd share something my friend just sent me: http://whill.us/home/. Looks like a power chair to me, but... prettier. I'm mostly impressed at seeing it tackle that crazy SF slope though!

Japanese based company, with what I'm guessing is a branch out here in SF (where they'll start doing initial sales). I'm a manual chair guy myself, but I think I'll sign up for a test drive just to see what it's like!

Using omni wheels for casters (they did not invent them as claimed) is a clever way to obtain power to all four wheels. Note there is no FDA approval if that matters.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The lack of FDA approval can impact insurance paying for this or your claiming that this is "medical equipment" vs. a convenience or recreational item.

(KLD)

Ahh, I was wondering what the purpose of that FDA approval disclaimer was for. Figured it might have to do with insurance!

That non approval might scare everyone off. But you can still go try it out. Tell them how you like it and or what they should do to improve it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

In the early 80's, someone affiliated with Peter Axelson's (one of the advisors) company designed and built an omni wheel power chair that I tested a bit when I was in college. It didn't look as futuristic, but had some of the same characteristics and advantages. I think that chair had 4 omni wheels, because it could move sideways, in addition to or in combination with the standard movements. It was pretty neat, especially compared with the E&J's of the day, but it was pretty bulky.
    C-6/7 incomplete

More power to them. The industry needs innovation.

Here's their [funded] Kickstarter page w/ other photos/video: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mobility-devic

Not to be overlooked... they're using legit cushions and back support, by Varilite.

Regarding "More power to them. The industry needs innovation." - yes.

I think it has potential to be great. I hope it works out for them. I noticed the seat slides forward for getting closer to the diner table. That's another clever idea.

Checked the measurements...seems to take the same space as my manual, if a bit narrower. Pretty cool I think. 4X4 sounds great too. Anyone catch a price for this?