Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ya folks hear about Whill yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Checked the measurements...seems to take the same space as my manual, if a bit narrower. Pretty cool I think. 4X4 sounds great too. Anyone catch a price for this?
    9.5K insurance probably won't pick up any until they get fda approval which I did not see they were seeking.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The Kickstarter page said the 3 folks who donate 10 grand would have one last Dec. Probably much more.

A little wider rear wheel would be nice. If they are flat proof, must have decent suspension.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 01-14-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    9.5K insurance probably won't pick up any until they get fda approval which I did not see they were seeking.
    Well, it's not psychotic like an Ibot $25K, lol. Now the question remains...this or a convert a Segway for an interesting extra-performance power chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Now the question remains...this or a convert a Segway for an interesting extra-performance power chair?
    that's an apples to oranges comparison, but a Segway would likely be a bit more fun.

Oh I totally stopped getting email notifications on this thread, odd. I wanted to report back: I've been talking with one of the sales folks at Whill about giving one of their chairs a spin, specifically mentioning that I was just curious, and also that I wanted to report back to ya folks here. They actually want to extend the offer to try out to anyone else on here that's interested, and willing to make it out to their San Carlos (SF Bay Area) office.

If anyone's interested, let me know! Their first date of availability is Sat Feb 7th. Otherwise, if anyone has questions they really want asked, or for me to pay attention to anything in particular, please list them here and I'll do my best to find out the answers

Last call for anyone interested in test driving one of these at their San Carlos office come Feb 7th!

Feel free to continue suggesting things I ask or look for though.

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    Last call for anyone interested in test driving one of these at their San Carlos office come Feb 7th!

Feel free to continue suggesting things I ask or look for though.
    He may not be ready to be an exhibitor yet, but ask if he is aware of the upcoming Abilities Expo in Los Angeles. http://www.abilities.com/losangeles/
    I want an excuse to go.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post

WHILL Receives FDA Clearance for Next-Generation wheelchair

http://whill.us/whill-receives-fda-c...on-wheelchair/

San Francisco, California, March 22, 2016 ? WHILL, Inc. (WHILL) today announced that it has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) clearance on a new model that will be released in the coming months.
    The FDA decision involved an extensive review of Model M, a technologically advanced wheelchair. Model M was developed to provide consumer oriented product design with superior maneuverability utilizing their patented omni-directional wheel. The clearance will allow WHILL to reach out to the 6.8 million mobility device users in the United States*, especially those who have been waiting for an FDA-cleared WHILL product since the nationwide launch of the Model A mobility device in June of 2015.
    FDA clearance means that physicians can now prescribe Model M as a medical device. In addition, the company is planning to apply to Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) to receive Pricing, Data Analysis and Coding (PDAC) so the product can be recognized by insurance such as Medicare. Model M was designed with wheelchair users in mind and also includes medical necessities such as arm supports, pressure relief handles, and different back support options. These features are not available with its predecessor Model A, which is not a medical device and will not be submitted to the FDA for clearance.
    ?FDA clearance of Model M represents a major milestone for our team and our customers in the US healthcare system,? says WHILL?s co-founder and CEO Satoshi Sugie. ?We look forward to working with physicians in the United States by providing them with new modern wheelchair option for their patients.? This is in line with WHILL?s mission to change the perception of mobility devices such as wheelchairs and scooters. The clinical appearance of these devices can give the impression of illness, making the user self-conscious and uncomfortable.
    Since the beginning WHILL has actively sought feedback from wheelchair users and applied it to their designs. The founders were inspired by their friend, a wheelchair user, who had given up on going even just a few blocks to the grocery store. His chair lacked the functionality needed to navigate the imperfect pathways and he was also facing the emotional struggle caused by the stigma he felt as a wheelchair user.
    ?We are proud to have received FDA clearance,? said Sugie. ?In order to realize our vision of mobility solutions, we need be able to address the millions of mobility device users who are suffering from lack of innovation in the industry. FDA?s review is a uniquely rigorous process we undertook because we remain deeply committed to ensuring that our products are stringently tested, and that patients and their physicians have access to the world?s most advanced wheelchair.?
    WHILL Model M is the second model launched by the company following the award winning WHILL Model A.
    WHILL Model M costs MSRP $13,995. It is the second model launched by the company following the award winning WHILL Model A.
    About WHILL
    WHILL, Inc. is a personal mobility device company founded in 2013 by former Nissan, Sony, and Olympus engineers and designers. WHILL?s mission is to make transportation smart and fun for everybody.

Contact
    WHILL, Inc.
    Chris Koyama, (415) 638-3937
    pr@whill.us (mailtor@whill.us)

Data Reference
    *http://www.disabled-world.com/pdf/mobility-report.pdf

03/16
    320-01454-MKT-01

Getting a demo early September and hoping I don't like it as much as I fear I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Getting a demo early September and hoping I don't like it as much as I fear I will.
    keep us post look kool