Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: vans- new or used

that shop in NC is doing all these ancient. i'll never drive a mini. I think any certified dealer will do the chevy/gmc conv vans.
    i'll tell you what, Jim at automotive Innovations was extremely helpful before during and after my install. he took the time to speak to me on several occasions and many emails. WE really appreciate all the help Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I am massively frustrated by the lack of interest on the part of mobility dealers in modifying full sized vans. I constantly try to find out how they will modify the full sized Nissan van, the new, larger Ford Transit, Dodge Pro Master, Sprinter, etc. It seems like there is no interest. There is no way I want a minivan with the floor ripped out and lowered and a too steep ramp. If anyone can direct me to any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 07-21-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am massively frustrated by the lack of interest on the part of mobility dealers in modifying full sized vans. I constantly try to find out how they will modify the full sized Nissan van, the new, larger Ford Transit, Dodge Pro Master, Sprinter, etc. It seems like there is no interest. There is no way I want a minivan with the floor ripped out and lowered and a too steep ramp. If anyone can direct me to any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    We haven't had anyone bring us one where they wanted to drive from a wheelchair.

We had a Nissan in for a left foot gas pedal a few weeks ago and took the time to put it on a lift and take a peek.

As i recall we should be able to do some driving stuff, but it would all come down to what it is you need the vehicle to do for you.

I was in a Dodge Pro Master the other day and got to look at one of those on a lift too.

The Pro Master was set up with a ramp and It looked pretty slick.

We'd be more than happy to help, while your not close we've done vans for people a lot farther away than you.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    that shop in NC is doing all these ancient. i'll never drive a mini. I think any certified dealer will do the chevy/gmc conv vans.
    i'll tell you what, Jim at automotive Innovations was extremely helpful before during and after my install. he took the time to speak to me on several occasions and many emails. WE really appreciate all the help Jim.
    It was my pleasure.

fwiw: I like the Chevy and GMC and while its been quite a while we have lowered the floors in them before.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

we like this high top. fits through all new drivethrus ie-starbucks as well as many parking garages. but I don't drive from my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    It was my pleasure.

fwiw: I like the Chevy and GMC and while its been quite a while we have lowered the floors in them before.

Jim
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Hey John talked with Gordon today. He was very nice and helpful. He needed some guidance for what I was asking/looking for but very helpful. I also polled a few of the wheelchair bound people in the waiting room getting their stuff worked on. They all gave me great feedback on MC and Braun.

Gordon did say you really like your "Big" van LOL

We haven't had anyone bring us one where they wanted to drive from a wheelchair.

We had a Nissan in for a left foot gas pedal a few weeks ago and took the time to put it on a lift and take a peek.

As i recall we should be able to do some driving stuff, but it would all come down to what it is you need the vehicle to do for you.

I was in a Dodge Pro Master the other day and got to look at one of those on a lift too.

The Pro Master was set up with a ramp and It looked pretty slick.

We'd be more than happy to help, while your not close we've done vans for people a lot farther away than you.

Jim
    Thanks for the info. From previous info you have provided it seems one of the biggest problems would be the sliding door. With the exception of the Chevy all the new full sized seem to have sliding doors - you have mentioned that you had not seen good solutions for power sliders. The new vans seem to have wide enough side door openings to allow use of a Braun Trifold lift. Does that seem correct? Also, we would need power seats for driver and passenger. Do the new vans have seat issues that would prevent this? My wife and I are both chair users with rigid chairs so rear lift won't work for us. Too bad a company like Braun has not obtained some of these vans to work up a good lift/door package. I suspect they prefer selling minivans.

I do. the mini's just don't fit our lifestyle. we haul so much gear for cycling etc. lmk how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    Hey John talked with Gordon today. He was very nice and helpful. He needed some guidance for what I was asking/looking for but very helpful. I also polled a few of the wheelchair bound people in the waiting room getting their stuff worked on. They all gave me great feedback on MC and Braun.

Gordon did say you really like your "Big" van LOL

ancient, im told braun is working on the powermaster. I've seen several now with lifts. from what I understand, currently only 1 company overseas are making the sliding door operator. same one on on Mercedes.
    side note, I had also heard braun has discontinued the vangator. I haven't verified. Jim, any word on this.
    Thanks for the info. From previous info you have provided it seems one of the biggest problems would be the sliding door. With the exception of the Chevy all the new full sized seem to have sliding doors - you have mentioned that you had not seen good solutions for power sliders. The new vans seem to have wide enough side door openings to allow use of a Braun Trifold lift. Does that seem correct? Also, we would need power seats for driver and passenger. Do the new vans have seat issues that would prevent this? My wife and I are both chair users with rigid chairs so rear lift won't work for us. Too bad a company like Braun has not obtained some of these vans to work up a good lift/door package. I suspect they prefer selling minivans.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I haven't really looked into door operators for any of the new sliding doors.

I do know we didn't care for any of the old full size sliding door electric openers from the past.

Seems like every winter the door would be partially frozen shut, tried to be opened and make a mess of the opener.

Id really need to take a close look at one of the new full size vans to see if we could retro something better to work as a power door opener.

I cant se why a Vangater or Vangater II wouldn't fit into one.

I looked at moving a old Vangater into a Ford Transit.
    It looked like it wouldn't be a problem.

As i recall someone a while ago had me see if we could do drivers and passengers transfer seats in the Nissan full size.

We'd need to see what you wanted the seats to do.

What about putting the lift in the back?

I'd say find the most experienced/ well equipped mobility dealer thats closest to you and try and come up with options.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I haven't really looked into door operators for any of the new sliding doors.

I do know we didn't care for any of the old full size sliding door electric openers from the past.

Seems like every winter the door would be partially frozen shut, tried to be opened and make a mess of the opener.

Id really need to take a close look at one of the new full size vans to see if we could retro something better to work as a power door opener.

I cant se why a Vangater or Vangater II wouldn't fit into one.

I looked at moving a old Vangater into a Ford Transit.
    It looked like it wouldn't be a problem.

As i recall someone a while ago had me see if we could do drivers and passengers transfer seats in the Nissan full size.

We'd need to see what you wanted the seats to do.

What about putting the lift in the back?

I'd say find the most experienced/ well equipped mobility dealer thats closest to you and try and come up with options.

Jim
    Rear lifts are a problem for us as we are both rigid chair users. The person in 1st would have to actually remove wheels from chair so that the 2nd person can access the front seats. We need the 6 way power seat (up and down, swivel, forward and back). We are in our 70's, between the 2 of us we have 111 years in chairs so we need to treat our shoulders as fragile - for that reason we do all gravity transfers in our vans. We currently have a 2003 Ford and a 2010 Ford both with side Vangaters and B & D power seats. We are not ready to buy yet but worried that the current Chevy/GMC full sized will be phased out by the time we are ready.