Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: vans- new or used

vans- new or used

do ppl buy new or used conv vans?? do you buy the van then take to mobility place for conversion? or buy from mobility shop already done???
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have had 5 vans in 35 years and all of them have been used already converted vans that had low miles when I bought them.
    ^^(A)^^

My first two Van's I bought new, then took them to a shop to get converted.

The last two I bought were used & already converted. One was from a mobility shop & had to be tweaked for me. One price/bill.

The last one was used & bought from an individual, already converted, then taken to a shop to have some things added. Two bills.

It's much easier to buy one already converted then have things added for you from a mobility shop. That way you have only one price/bill.

New or used is up to you. What you're willing to spend/borrow. As you'll find out the cost can vary a lot between new or used.

A decent article The Cost of a Wheelchair Van Conversion - News & Resources | 1800Wheelchair.com

Just to give you an idea on the cost Handicap Vans For Sale | Buy New and Used Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
    Last edited by Flatiron; 01-13-2015 at 06:28 PM.

thx guys.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

The last 2 I bought off Ebay and like Flatiron I took them in to have things added or adjusted for me. They are a high price item (new) and sometimes people don't use them very much and due to circumstances they don't need them any more. They are so specialized and the market to sell them is fairly small which is good for us. Keep your eyes open you'll find one.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    do ppl buy new or used conv vans?? do you buy the van then take to mobility place for conversion? or buy from mobility shop already done???
    You are the last person I would have ever thought about asking about a mini van
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

My parents bought their first converted van used (through an ad in Disabled Dealer) and then 8 years later bought a new (already converted) van from a mobility dealer (Mac's Lift Gate).

If you can find the right van used, they can really be a bargain. Depreciation is steep and starts as soon as you drive it off the lot. There are a lot of low mileage decent modified vans out there...mostly from people who bought one for an elderly relative who then dies, and they need to unload the van. We sold my parents van to a friend after my mother died, and they got a read deal too.

(KLD)

ya. im not certain yet. considering for next vehicle.

thx SCI NURSE.

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    You are the last person I would have ever thought about asking about a mini van
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I assume you are talking about a minivan, if so I would not attempt to buy a new vehicle then have it modified. I believe the companies that cut and drop the floor are pretty fussy and for example won't do a used minivan as they don't want to weld on rust. I would either buy new or used. I believe that service connected sci's can get new vans from VA every 2-3 years. If I was in the market for a minivan I would love to access one of these. Also, let's face it lots of disabled people pass away with perfectly serviceable minivans in their driveways.

I buy full sized vans because both my wife and I are in chairs. We like to haul lots of stuff and used to transport 2 race chairs or handcycles in addition to ourselves and regular chairs. I started out with my 1st Econoline van in 73 when my wife was my girlfriend. We put a bed and portapotty type device in that and took a cross country (plus Canada) trip with our dog and cat along. I love these options which come with a full sized van. I always buy my vans 1st and them give them to mobility dealer. I am 6'2" and have never needed a dropped floor or raised roof, just power doors, lift and 2 6 way power seats. I think this option is way cheaper than a tricked out leaning minivan w dropped floor. I usually buy a passenger van, black out the cargo area windows, remove all the extra seats and add a nice floor.

I encourage you to go to a van. If you do you will suddenly be willing to out in the community and do multiple errands due to ease of transfers, you will also be doing your shoulders a favor for the long haul.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    There's not much of an after-market for adapted vans. So many people either pass away or just can't drive them any more and people just want to get rid of them. I see no point whatsoever in buying a new vehicle.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere