Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grad School Tuition Help

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I don't have an answer for you on that, but it seems like if that was a problem, just use it to pay off your loans. In fact, I don't know what your federal loans are, but mine are 7.9%, if you've got $15,000 worth I don't think you'll beat a rate of return of 7.9% in any money market account.
    Yea If I do not get any help with it then that is what I will use most of it for. You do not have to pay back the loan until 6 months after you graduate so I figured I would let it earn interest in the mean time and try for as many grants or scholarships as possible and then make a large payment once my loan becomes due after graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Oh and there was just some new legislation passed that allows you to set up a tax free savings account type of thing if you were injured before age 26 that would allow you to legally "hide" (probably not the right word) these assets from state and federal programs with income limits, I think you can save up to $100,000 in a kind of rainy day fund, but there might me limits to how much you can put in per year. I haven't looked into it because it doesn't seem relevant to my situation, but it was called the ABLE bill and it's brand new legislation. Might be worth some research. There's a thread on here somewhere.
    Yea I have heard of that but I was injured at age 29 and am now 35!!