Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mucus in urine in LARGE amounts, help

Exclamation Mucus in urine in LARGE amounts, help

So a couple months ago IS started getting odd white mucus in his urine. It slowly increased until he developed clear symptoms of a UTI. We ended up in ER with his blood counts elevated and his SP Cath completely clogged from the gunk.
    They put him on Vantin. The urine culture and labs showed very severe infection.

When he finished the course of Vantin w/in a few days the white mucus returned. His NP ordered a UA. By the time it came back (positive for infection) he was again having clear UTI symptoms. She prescribed a different antibiotic - Septra.

After the Septra finished the white stuff came back. Again. It was RIGHT before Christmas. She ran UA. Now showed 2 bacteria. Being Xmas we didn't wait for signs of UTI, she put him on Augmentin.

She also contacted his urologist. He said "no, he's not infected its colonization" and said to have him drink large quantities of lemonade every day. We decided to finish the Augementin because I agreed with her, that he was infected (there have been UTI symptoms each time, bladder pain, urge to pee, low grade temp and the first time around he was altered as well).

So. Finished Augmentin on Monday. Slime began coming back Wed. Clogged the catheter last night, we couldn't irrigate it so had to change it. Not just a "little" clog... INCHES of the cath were clogged w/the mucusy stuff.

He has a history of clogs in the past with sediment. But that stuff is different, grainy and crusty. And he's on Potassium Citrate which stopped all that.

I'm going to call the NP in the morning, and she will run the UA and we shall see. But... anyone here ever experience this? Its bizarre. THICK chunks of mucus that can even clog the tubing in the bag and we have to squeeze it out.
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

Sounds like he needs iv antibiotics. What is the bug? Is it sensitive to the antibiotics they put him on? How long are they treating him? it should at least be 10-14 days.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

He's had Proteus Mirabilis and then added E.Coli this last time. And greater than 100,000 of the organism so IMO clearly an infection and not just colonization. In fact he was SO sick the first time (the ER visit) that his labs were horrible and they were concerned about sepsis. He gets 10 - 14 days each round. This started in NOV>
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

I had this problem for a while, sp always clogging, having to change it out every two weeks, sometimes once a week, and often emergency-like because I wasn't draining and would start to get disreflexic bad. My Dr. and urologist kept culturing and of course I would always have bacteria, the same as him, but it is colonization just because of the SP. But like you I kept taking antibiotics, always had a high white count etc. Oh, and the mucus… The mucus!

Finally I went to a urologist who knew about SCI's and he knew right away what it was… Bladder stones! I went in for a cat scan and it was confirmed, I had 10 good size ones, they were always rubbing against the bladder lining causing the bladder to create the mucus, and to always have a lot of bacteria in my urine cultures.

So finally after dealing with it for over six months I had an answer… The Dr. went in (through my SP hole) broke up the stones with a laser and took them all out. Right away there was a difference, my urine was a great color again and my tube has not clogged, it has been such a relief.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to let you know where I was coming from… I would find a Dr. Who will get a cat scan or even just a ultrasound to see if he has any bladder stones.
    Every second brings a fresh beginning every hour holds a new promise every night dreams can bring hope and every day is what we choose to make it

That was my next guess has he been checked for stones recently? Yes that definately sounds like infection to me. Proteaus mirbalus (sp) from what i have heard is very difficult to get rid of. I would say its time for IV antibiotics and to be checked for stones both kidney and bladder
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Ditto on miss_tea_nus. He needs to be checked for bladder stones. My husband has a SP. he never developed UTI symptoms with his stone but one of the organisms cultured was proteus which he hadn't had before. There was lots of fine white sediment and thick mucous in his urine and the catheter kept clogging up or draining slow so he would get AD. His urologist scheduled him for a cysto in the office and found a stone. After removing it everything calmed down again. He never had to be treated with antibiotics since he wasn't showing signs of an infection yet. If your husband has a stone it could be preventing him from clearing the infectious organisms. The other thing he did was change him to silicone catheters instead of the coated latex as he thought it may have contributed. Stone free and no more thick mucous since.

A long time ago he had stones, but I thought the Potassium Cit. had taken care of it. He hasn't been scoped probably since the SP was put in, which was a couple years ago I think (gosh I can't even remember). He also has some stones in the kidney (seen in a CT long time ago) but they hadn't been moving.

He uses a silicone cath already as the uro nurse recommended it a long time ago because things don't stick to it as easily.

I will mention the stones to the Uro and the NP.
    Rebecca
    Mother of 2 active boys!

Knight's wife, I hope you're able to find a solution to this problem very quickly! I know how frustrating it can be I have been going through a similar situation for about the last six months. Changing the catheter every two weeks or less becomes very frustrating so like yourself I'm going to ask my urologist to run some tests like putting the scope into the bladder.
    I've also going to ask about this Potassium Citrate you mentioned, I have never heard of it maybe it will help get rid of some of my sediment…? What is the best way to take it how often ect?
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

UA doesn't show organisms or how much just WBCs. The culture is the one that tells you specifically which organism(s0 and then the sensitivity what antibiotics will kill it. Maybe he needs to be on a longer course to be sure all organisms are cleared then irrigate daily and drink large amoutns of water. Renal ultrasound and abdominal ray to look for stones. We don't cysto for that typically. If stones I seen on those then would do CT scan. CWO

Uro wants to do a cysto. They did culture each time, in addition to the UA. The very first time he also had bloodwork because they were concerned about sepsis and his WBC were very high. Follow up a few days later showed WBC backing down, so the UTI was the only issue. Each course of ABX was 10 days or so.

He takes 5mg Potassium three times a day (with food) and it really helped a lot with the build-up and clogs he was getting from sediment.

Unfortunately what he has now is nothing like the crunchy hard sediment, and is white, floaty and sticky and looks like mucus. He drinks LARGE amounts of water/lemonade all day, and 2/3 of his meals are "shakes" so he gets a lot of fluid. His 12 hour output is usually around 1500 cc. Overnight is less. Until this damn mucusy stuff he was draining great, good color to his urine, etc. This is so frustrating. It started on Nov 7th I think. Here we are mid-Jan still dealing with it.
    Rebecca
    Mother of 2 active boys!