Thread: Bowel and digestion problem

Bowel and digestion problem

For the past year i have had severe acid reflux and heartburn, I have had all the relevent tests done at hospital, endoscopy, colonoscopy barium swallow and xrays and scans on my stomach, I am on esomeprazole but it doesnt help and now my bowels open everytime i get on the toilet to wee, ive always had very firm stools and empty my bowels every other day and never had accidents but since this acid reflux problem my stools are soft and diarhoea like and tend to be yellow, i have tried different diets nothing changes, ive just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia but the doctor said that wouldnt cause my symptoms, i am T7 complete 15 years post, can you help cos my doctor said ive got to live like this as he doesnt know whats wrong.

Hiatial (sp) Hernia definitely will cause acid reflux. It doesn't cause the other symptoms however as far as I know.
    I know because I have Hiatial Hernia for which acid reflux is mostly controlled with am and pm doses of 150mg Ranitidine (Zantac). At times it is not enough so I pop a Tum or two.
    I tried using Esomeprazole, but I think works better for me. Hope you find something that works.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Polio-paralyzed here. Had the acid reflux and some of those symptoms several years. Finally one doctor said to make sure nothing is tight on abdomen after eating anything. Well....duh.....I have always had to wear a tight body brace due to scoliosis and so began opening bottom half after eating and problem was completely solved. I was told this can happen with tight clothing and slumped seating position (?); in short, any constriction/tightness at abdomen that does not allow free flow of food through stomach to upper digestive system. For me, it seems to take an hour or so for food to pass out of stomach area. I never lie down directly after eating, or eat while lying down. An hour after eating I'm good to go. I do have hiatal hernia, diagnosed by same doctor after tests done at the time.
    Husband is T-10 SCI and must take medication daily for acid reflux.
    Keep working on this issue - I don't believe you have to live with it!!

I agree with no noise. I have severe reflux so bad i am on 2 medicines for it with tums inbetween. I have found success with dexilant and zantac. The dexilant is in the am and the zantac is at night for 5 days then i take 2 days off according to my GI doc you are at high risk of becoming tolerant of the zantac and after a while it won't work. I think we have hit that now after about 6 months on that combo. I also take zofran 3 times a day for chronic nausea, again they have done every test possible and everything comes back normal.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    ... according to my GI doc you are at high risk of becoming tolerant of the zantac and after a while it won't work. ...
    I've been on zantac for years and for the most part it does work. I'd not heard of the tolerance issue before so I looked it and found this from the nih:
    "...Tolerance does develop in healthy subjects during the first month of dosing with ranitidine, 150 mg nightly, but it is not a progressive phenomenon, and it is probably not of clinical relevance..." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1889719
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.