Thread: Alcohol, drugs, liver health.

Alcohol, drugs, liver health.

So recently I have been taking alendronte once a week, how hard is this drug on the kidneys and liver? I also take 20mg of baclofen morning and night, 25 mg of lyrica morning and night and 4mg of hydromorphone as needed as well as 4 mg of Valium as needed rarely but sometimes together. I have also had to take antibiotics for two weeks many times everything from cipro to amoxicillin. Not Recently thankfully. Pre-SCI I wouldn't even take an Advil.

When I first started drinking post injury I didn't feel I could get drunk, and I drink a lot not very often but when I did, drink a lot. Eventually I started to feel the effects. Now I don't go out a lot compared to most people my age, (every weekend) not by a longshot, and I don't drink very often at all. Won't even have a beer at home. But when I do go out I tend to get hammered! People just buy me drinks constantly so I drink em, usually vodka and cranberry, occasionally shots maybe some beer. Last summer I went out more then the summer before and I actually have a very good tolerance for someone that rarely drinks. Never had a problem.

Until two months and abit ago, this seem to make sense didn't eat much before, drink a lot at home before getting to the bar, then drinks given to me drank them fast. Long story short I ended up getting sick which can be for my level of injury but whatever nothing went in the lungs pretty sure. Then smallish party at my place ended up drinking lots of beer, did some other stuff, no problem back to the old tolerance. Then New Year's had good three meals, my plant-based diet in the mornings plenty of nutrients and protein, carbs lots of water wasn't making the same mistake I made three months ago. Drink vodka cranberry with a better and more for familiar brand of vodka, to my surprise just after midnight I got sick again, was in a awful place. Wasn't very hung over the next morning if at all. Could it be that the medication and the alcohol are taking it's toll on my system even though I don't do it often? I've had no problems drinking and "partying" (is a quad it's just not the same so don't feel like that word is appropriate whatever),for the first two years post. Also when I have to take my pain pills hydromorphone I seem to feel nauseous and dizzy, never had that problem before.

Any information is helpful thanks!

Have you lost/gained weight recently? Taking any herbal supplements? Changed your diet drastically (is the plant based thing new)? Any new medications?

All of these could cause interactions and it sounds like you're becoming more sensitive to the opiod at least.

Valium will definitely compound the effects of alcohol if you took any around the time you drank/got sick.

This definitely sounds like something you need to see your doctor and ask about.

As a side note, you're on a boatload of dangerous drugs. Obviously hydromorphone is an opiate akin to heroin and quite addicting. Valium is also very habit forming. Lyrica can cause dependence and baclofen is deadly if you withdraw... but I'm sure you know all this stuff. If the meds you're taking are affecting you differently (like the hydromorphone) you need to figure out why... also, you probably don't want to hear this, but there is pretty much no evidence based indication for Valium in the long term, and opiates (if taken for chronic pain) have a terrible track record.

Hope you get this sorted out.

James,

I am a T8 and barfing makes me feel like I am going to die, I can't imagine what it feels like with your level. The combination of an opioid and a benzo mean drinking is very dangerous and can cause respiratory distress. More so than just drinking with one or the other. Combined with your injury level makes it even more so.

http://www.americanbacksoc.org/view/...tail.php?id=86

SCI sucks balls and I understand the temptation to get shitfaced especially when people are buying you drinks. When I am in those situations I just tell people i am on medications that make it dangerous for me to drink and they drop it.

I barely take my Hydromorphone or Valium maybe once every two weeks for the pain pills and twice a week for the Valium , just when pain becomes ridiculous and or spasms. If I'm drinking I won't be taking those, because if I'm in a lot of pain I won't be going drinking usually.

SCI doesn't suck, it is completely deplorable horrid atrocity on human life. But I liked getting shitfaced when I was able bodied every now and then in between training, it's fun, and I am still young. I just want to know why I am getting sick, because it's embarrassing (10 times worse because of the SCI ) and annoying and at the time painful. Almost everyone my age is shitfaced at least twice a week, and drinking almost every day, I mean it's college, I maybe go out 10 times a year to drink and go hard.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-10-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Have you lost/gained weight recently? Taking any herbal supplements? Changed your diet drastically (is the plant based thing new)? Any new medications?

All of these could cause interactions and it sounds like you're becoming more sensitive to the opiod at least.

Valium will definitely compound the effects of alcohol if you took any around the time you drank/got sick.

This definitely sounds like something you need to see your doctor and ask about.

As a side note, you're on a boatload of dangerous drugs. Obviously hydromorphone is an opiate akin to heroin and quite addicting. Valium is also very habit forming. Lyrica can cause dependence and baclofen is deadly if you withdraw... but I'm sure you know all this stuff. If the meds you're taking are affecting you differently (like the hydromorphone) you need to figure out why... also, you probably don't want to hear this, but there is pretty much no evidence based indication for Valium in the long term, and opiates (if taken for chronic pain) have a terrible track record.

Hope you get this sorted out.
    No haven't lost or gained any weight, still very skinny as always. At least not anything noticeable. I take a multivitamin, vitamin C, and natural hair supplement procerin (just testing for shits and giggles, old man is bald) nope I usually always eat healthy, nothing new, the intensity has been turned up a bit though. The newest med is the alendronate.

As for interaction my doctor hasn't said anything, and she prescribed me these medications. I am actually on the lowest dose for these medications, I could be on 20 mg of baclofen a day but it doesn't cut it so I went to 40 mg, other than that everything is a very low dose. Sorry I don't know what you mean by no evidence for the Valium? Like I said I rarely take the Valium or hydromorphone. And they're low doses.

I think I'm going to get a blood test of the old liver and kidneys when I get the chance. Honestly I really don't care if they're failing and my time has come, highly unlikely (if it is it's almost guaranteed to be something with bladder management, infections, all of the antibiotics, meds I've had to take, something pertaining to the injury and not much to do with the occasional party) . But if they are I want to go out having fun, which for me is difficult in this situation. I just don't know why my tolerance is all of a sudden an issue, and I don't like getting sick.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-10-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Just looked up the ingredients for the porcerin you're taking, and here is some of what I've found:
    Saw Palmetto - can cause GI upset (maybe making you sick while drinking sooner?)
    Gotu Kola - "Use cautiously in patients taking sedatives because animal study (27) shows that gotu kola may possess sedative qualities, which potentiate the effects of other sedative agents. When taking gotu kola, patients should use caution while driving and operating heavy machinery"
    Also gotu kola appears to have significant effects on the cytochrome p450 system which could alter how just about any drug is metabolized (possibly explaining your increased sensitivity to hydromorphone).

All of that is kind of weak evidence, and there aren't any scientific studies on the exact effects of porcerin itself, which is a combination of several herbs and vitamins.

If you do go see your doctor (and I suggest you do) make sure you tell him everything you're taking, including the porcerin and any other herbal medications or supplements. You might want to even write out the ingredients of porcerin since he likely will not know what it contains.

That's very interesting, thank you I'll look into that. I was using a vitamin D spray Thousand IU's per spray, accident taking three maybe four, ended up getting vitamin D toxicity levels was well over a month or two ago been off all vitamin D supplements since then. After blood test looking at oral pill instead 2000ius only, but is that too much?

organ failure might be the only way of me getting out of this mess

Probably the same for many of us, why beat around the bush and live like a nun SCI takes enough options away in life as it is.