Thread: protecting scare place

protecting scare place

some time ago I was reading on CC (on a thread about the pressure sores) about a foley used to protect the scare area. it was something transparent. Also, I remembet that it was used to protect the cutted zone after the surgeries.

do you know what i'm talking about? i need to protect some skin area which previusly had a small pressure sore. now is healed, but i'm verry worried

Blog Entries
    Where is the scar? The best thing is to not put constant pressure on it. If you try to cover it with some kind of padding, you will be increasing pressure to the scar and the area around it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Are you thinking of Tagaderm?

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Where is the scar? The best thing is to not put constant pressure on it. If you try to cover it with some kind of padding, you will be increasing pressure to the scar and the area around it.
    it is a very thin layer which is built to protect sensible areas.

as i said, the pressure sore is healed. i'm looking to protect it

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    Are you thinking of Tagaderm?
    this is a simillar product. I'M STILL LOOKING FOR THE OTHER NAME, IN ORDER TO APPRECIATE THE MATERIAL PROPRIETIES

Duo Derm extra thin?

Duoderm or tegaderm are what is commonly used. There are some other names, which of course, I am blanking on, of products that are similar that you could be thinking of.
    ckf

I will just butt in here. Not clear about what you are trying to do with a foley??? Where is the scar?

Duoderm = hydrocolloid adhesive sheet. There are a number of different brands. It is not clear, but brown.

Tegaderm = transparent film dressing. This is a adhesive plastic clear film. It does not provide any padding, but can protect some from friction. It is air-permeable so will not make you sweat underneath much.

Allyvn = adhesive foam dressing. Provides a little padding, best if using the "Gentle Touch" type which has silicone tape around the edges.

For protection of scar tissue and to help scar tissue model and stay smooth, we use a silicone sheet dressing called TopiGel. Same piece can be used for about a week, and you can lift it up, clean the skin, even wash the dressing, pat dry, and reapply. It will hold in moisture (unlike Tegaderm) which can be a problem if you apply it in an area where you sweat a lot.

(KLD)

I use Duroderm Extra Thin on stage 1 ulcers, i.e. red skin but not broken. I have more problems with skin shear and moisture, than with pressure.
    Last edited by khmorgan; 01-09-2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Rewritten

I use Mepilex.