Thread: Gabapentin or Lyrica?

Gabapentin or Lyrica?

I am 5 years post injury, c4/5. Since my injury I have been on Gabapentin and done pretty well. But for about the last year it seems my nerve pain has just been increasing and the gabapentin is not doing the trick. I know lots of people take lyrica, I'm wondering what you all think? Should I switch?

Kenneth, ultimately the decision to switch should be decided between you and your Physician.

I have taken both I was on Gaba 2800 mg a day for about two years and noticed very little relief in my nerve pain. It helped greatly with the spasticity I had in my legs and feet while lying down at night however I also felt like a zombie while on it.

I switched to lyrica about two years ago and although I am not pain free it has helped greatly in keeping my nerve flair ups away. I take one 100 mg tablet four times a day morning, noon, evening and midnight. Plus although I am tired I am not zombie tired LOL

I too am a C 4/5 and I wish you all the luck in finding some relief. . . Take care, Chris
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    In case you missed this thread... I was on Gabapentin and Lyrica, but no longer.. just wish I had read this thread first.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=lyrica

AAgree totally with Cowboy. This decision should be between you and your provider. You need to know the possible side effects and benefits of both drugs and weigh them out with the benefits for you. I understand that the nerve pain is unreal - for some the side effects are minimum and the relief is tremendous - for others, not so.
    Good luck!
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by KennethConnin View Post
    I am 5 years post injury, c4/5. Since my injury I have been on Gabapentin and done pretty well. But for about the last year it seems my nerve pain has just been increasing and the gabapentin is not doing the trick. I know lots of people take lyrica, I'm wondering what you all think? Should I switch?

I too am on gabapentin and recently the pain has become much worse. My dr added nortriptyline ( usually used for depression and less commonly for nerve pain) and for the first time in 5 years my pain is very bearable. It's gone from 9 to 2. I take 600 mg of gaba and 25mg of nortriptyline at bedtime. You should ask your dr if this is something he recommends for as well. Def worth looking into. Gl

+1 Agree with exploring if Nortriptyline or Elavil at night would make a difference. Yes there are side effects, some dopiness and dry mouth and eyes (xerostomia and xerophthalmia) , I use 25mg of Elavil in the early evening. You got to trade off the suffering from Neuropathic pain versus side effects - which is the lesser of 2 evils.

Regarding Gabapentin versus Pregabulin (Lyrica). I use Lyrica and tried many times to change to the cheaper Gabapentin. It didn't work as well for me. So Lyrica it is. for the past 10-12 years for me.

I took 1200mg of Gabapentin 3 x day for nerve pain in my arm and hand for the past year. I became rather dull, forgetful and stupid. It worked to eliminate the pain but the side effects became unacceptable. So I was weaned off Gabapentin and I just started taking 100mg of Lyrica 3 x day. It doesn't seem as effective as Gabapentin so far but I'll give it a chance. Now I did add 300mg of Gabapentin 3 x day to the Lyrica and it def helps without making me too dull, forgetful or stupid. To be continued.......

Gabapentin or Lyrica

I was on Lyrica for years and recently this year my Dr switched me to Gabapentin. I had no WDs probably because of the switch.I would think youd be fine weaning off over 4 weeks & by following your Dr.s instructions exactly.I hope you have no withdrawls. Good luck