Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting, self defence etc. For quads.

Fighting, self defence etc. For quads.

So I'm always thinking about this, even when I was able bodied it was always on my mind preparation for bad situations (never went looking for it, but always wanted to be ready, and could analyze a situation or place where it's likely to happen). But what would you do in the event that you were challenged, verbally, physically or worse spit on. I am no Mark zupan I haven't been blessed with amazing recovery of any function, barely any functional muscles let alone any muscle mass. Many high complete quads (well all completes) unfortunately are like me, no recovery. Iam a c4 with a terrible right arm so I use a power wheelchair I could drive it into their legs into a wall, and my best strike would be an elbow using my few remaining back muscles mainly rear deltoids and rhomboids, once they fall down to my reach level. But it would only be effective if they fell, and if their head was against something solid. But the slightest little effort would flip me out of my wheelchair leaving my brittle bones easily stopped upon. Pathetic. What would you do how would you handle this situation? Would you call for help, call the police, get other people involved? do you have a different technique or ideas that I didn't think of? Do the obvious and try and settle it with words, try to reason, beg, cry?

After one bad situation (and just general understanding of the mindset and fighting game) I've come to realize that most able-bodied man I would run into a problem with look at my weak and clearly distorted body and don't have enough physical respect for me to actually attack me, either ignore me, look at me like I'm dirt, in this case do that then kick my leg not to harm but as if to brush off to imply what are you going to do, what are you worth. (this started after some dirt bag was harassing my cousin and I intervened). Anyways I've come to the conclusion that in the event of a physical altercation I would do nothing, I would preserve what little dignity I have for myself and not attempt to make any physical attack, pathetic as it would be (just completely demoralizing and utterly embarrassing) And I just don't feel any better about using my wheelchair. I would do everything possible not to allow my friends to get involved, that's just sad. And I would gladly die before I begged, cried of fear, whatever. The thing is I've always liked getting hit, as twisted as it is I miss it, so I would call him out, maybe even break into rageful tears calling him out to hit me, c in a weird sense I would be honored if another healthy man hit me, a sense of normality, just please hit me in the face so I can actually feel it.

Any high quads run into this problem? Hell even para? (problem being a physical altercation, or lead up to one, any hostile situation with a healthy able-bodied individual). What's your take on it? What would you do? If it actually happened what did you do?
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-06-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Shoot the bastard. OK, maybe that's not an option either. How about a Schutzhund?
    Like these guys:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post

After one bad situation (and just general understanding of the mindset and fighting game) I've come to realize that most able-bodied man I would run into a problem with look at my weak and clearly distorted body and don't have enough physical respect for me to actually attack me, either ignore me, look at me like I'm dirt, in this case do that then kick my leg not to harm but as if to brush off to imply what are you going to do, what are you worth. (this started after some dirt bag was harassing my cousin and I intervened). Anyways I've come to the conclusion that in the event of a physical altercation I would do nothing, I would preserve what little dignity I have for myself and not attempt to make any physical attack, pathetic as it would be (just completely demoralizing and utterly embarrassing) And I just don't feel any better about using my wheelchair. I would do everything possible not to allow my friends to get involved, that's just sad. And I would gladly die before I begged, cried of fear, whatever. The thing is I've always liked getting hit, as twisted as it is I miss it, so I would call him out, maybe even break into rageful tears calling him out to hit me, c in a weird sense I would be honored if another healthy man hit me, a sense of normality, just please hit me in the face so I can actually feel it.

Any high quads run into this problem? Hell even para? (problem being a physical altercation, or lead up to one, any hostile situation with a healthy able-bodied individual). What's your take on it? What would you do? If it actually happened what did you do?

If I had your hobby I think I'd go the whole hog and hire a bodyguard!

Interesting, but a bodyguard or a dog is no different then letting someone else deal with it. In my opinion, and I don't agree with that. And I love dogs (in fact in general I like them more than people) there'd be no way I'd put a dog in danger without me going in with it.

Bodyguards are probably very expensive , We have to waste enough money on caregivers. And completely unnecessary like I said highly unlikely for anyone to actually get physical, it's more verbal and mental garbage were likely to deal with. Not sure what you mean by my hobby? Kickboxing,l fighting, combat in general was instantly gone once I broke my neck. As for going to the bar, shouldn't lead to many problems, especially being disabled but I'm not going to sit there and watch someone harass my cousin just because I'm a cripple.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Shoot the bastard. OK, maybe that's not an option either. How about a Schutzhund?
    Like these guys:
    I had an 85 lb weimaraner growing up in high school (pre-sci) that would run full speed at me sometimes and knock me down when we would play, paws right to the chest and I'd fly like the guys in that video. She did it out of love though

I suggest getting proficient with a handgun and get a concealed carry permit. I also carry a karambit, specifically a Spyderco Karahawk. There are plenty cheaper than the Karahawk though. It's easy to hang on to because of the finger hole and made to slash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit There are numerous instructional videos on YouTube on the use/techniques. Mainly though being in a wheelchair, my modus operandi is slicing low to high on the legs or at an angle behind the leg. A sliced hamstring/tendon would drop them to the knee, even if briefly, which would theoretically put their head at an easily accessible level for someone in a chair, which would be an opportunity for another strike with the karambit. Another link: http://www.budk.com/category/Knives/.../2902/3343.uts

There are also karambit trainers so that you can work on proficiency without fear of cutting yourself, usually plastic. Variations also include pressure point techniques where you aren't slicing: http://www.karambit.com/shop/self-de...int-pursuader/ You would need a fair amount of arm strength for this though.

YouTube from quick search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WAOBX8BJyc Obviously you have to adapt the techniques to being in a chair and your hand strength. Another good instructor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7TPa1eQ8w

I don't have hand function, I couldn't squeeze the trigger, Let alone my curled fingers situated to hold a handgun properly and safely. Next problem is I live in Canada and hand gun regulations is much more strict. And unless facing other armed men guns are for cowards.

Clearly you know your stuff, I will look into these links thank you.

"a schutzhund"? Do you mean a schutzhund trained dog? Schutzhund is a sport, purchasing an already fully trained schutzhund dog is incredibly expensive, talking 10k or more depending on what you want. You can get the right dog to train in schutzhund (not cheap either) and train it yourself (in the end, probably not much cheaper than a trained dog) but its an incredible time investment and really needs to be a passion. And its really not done to have an actual protection dog, like I said its a sport. But then again its not like you need more than the visual deterrent, or bark and hold with most criminals. But you aren't being accompanied by a dog 100% of the day, so probably not what the OP wants.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    "a schutzhund"? Do you mean a schutzhund trained dog? Schutzhund is a sport, purchasing an already fully trained schutzhund dog is incredibly expensive, talking 10k or more depending on what you want. You can get the right dog to train in schutzhund (not cheap either) and train it yourself (in the end, probably not much cheaper than a trained dog) but its an incredible time investment and really needs to be a passion. And its really not done to have an actual protection dog, like I said its a sport. But then again its not like you need more than the visual deterrent, or bark and hold with most criminals. But you aren't being accompanied by a dog 100% of the day, so probably not what the OP wants.
    Schutzhund is German for "protection dog", but yes, you're right, it is a sport. It amazes me how well trained they are. It's like flipping a switch on or off. I guess I should have just said personal protection dog. Regardless though, I'm sure the video got the general idea across.

They are amazing, not every dog can do it. It was developed as a breed test to determine if german shepherds were breed worthy, and is still used that way in Germany. However, as with any competition there is a lot of crap behind the scenes and dogs titled that shouldn't have been. There are different types of drives that can be used during phases like protection (schutzhund has 3 phases. Obedience, tracking, and protection), and if a dog doesn't have what it takes with the correct drive, sometimes a different drive can be used just to get the dog to compete and title when they truly don't deserve it. As for turning it on and off, thats what a good german shepherd can do! Be the all around dog, work when needed and turn it off and be a lazy slob at your feet as my Emma is right now. </end hijack.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Unfortunately for us the quads fighting back physically it's definitely not an option. First of I try to avoid any misunderstandings and avoid scumbags. But shit happens and most of the altercations start verbally, and at that point I just make him understand that he should show respect even if I'm disabled, and just because of this doesn't mean that he'll get away with it. In my case I only have to make a phone call and a couple of cars full with my big crazy eastern european mates will show and maybe will break his neck too... I once was myself a big fucker and strong fighter, but I now have to accept that I can't defend myself and fortunately I have others to do it for me. But as I said before I try to avoid arguments all I can and I must say people does show respect everywhere I go and they're mostly nice... But maybe this is just in my case. Everyone is different and live in different surroundings.