Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 2014 review: A banner year for sci research

  1. #1

    2014 review: A banner year for sci research

    By Sam Maddox:

    Welcome to the new year. Here is to the highest of hopes for 2015.
    It cannot be denied, 2014 was a banner year for research to improve function after chronic spinal cord injury.

    Clinical trials began in the U.S. with two separate stem cell lines, and with an implanted scaffold. Another stem cell trial, halted four years ago, will reboot soon. Spinal cord stimulation technology moves ahead vigorously; the Reeve Foundation'sThe Big Idea, expanding the success of the first four humans with epidural stimulators to 36 more patients, will take form soon. Meanwhile, the biology of the spinal cord continues to unravel, creating opportunities to genetically or chemically boost nerve regeneration.

    Herewith is my list of the ten biggest spinal cord restoration stories for 2014, listed chronologically as reported in this blog:

    http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.org/blogs/18/2349

    Paolo


    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  2. #2
    I think several were interesting. One starts recruiting this February"
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...sterias&rank=2

    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    By Sam Maddox:

    Welcome to the new year. Here is to the highest of hopes for 2015.
    It cannot be denied, 2014 was a banner year for research to improve function after chronic spinal cord injury.

    Clinical trials began in the U.S. with two separate stem cell lines, and with an implanted scaffold. Another stem cell trial, halted four years ago, will reboot soon. Spinal cord stimulation technology moves ahead vigorously; the Reeve Foundation'sThe Big Idea, expanding the success of the first four humans with epidural stimulators to 36 more patients, will take form soon. Meanwhile, the biology of the spinal cord continues to unravel, creating opportunities to genetically or chemically boost nerve regeneration.

    Herewith is my list of the ten biggest spinal cord restoration stories for 2014, listed chronologically as reported in this blog:

    http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.org/blogs/18/2349

    Paolo



  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    I think several were interesting. One starts recruiting this February"
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...sterias&rank=2
    Do you think Asterias Biotherapeutics trial will beneifit also people with chronic SCI?

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  4. #4
    I think if it moves the bar for acute injuries they will move to chronic pretty quickly. The real question begins with does the increasing dosage and the different cell environment as growth medium make a difference. If they don't move to the larger chronic market they are playing to a far smaller crowd.

    My limited personal belief is anything that is effective for acutes will be tried in chronic injuries. Maybe news very shortly on trial

    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Do you think Asterias Biotherapeutics trial will beneifit also people with chronic SCI?

    Paolo
    Last edited by c473s; 01-08-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added to thought

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
  2. spinal cord injury pipelie review feb 2014
    By lollypop in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 02:04 AM
  4. Happy New Year! Welcome in 2014
    By SCI-Nurse in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •