Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chopping onions?

chopping onions?

I seem to tear up more when chopping onions than when I could stand. I guess it is because my face is so much closer to the onions when I am sitting.

Any advice on chopping onions?

I have one recipe that requires 6 pounds of onions. When I made it, my throat was burning for an hour or so, and my face was red from all that chopping.

Food processor! Works wonders for chopping onions, just don't open it right away and stick your nose in or you will get a huge blast of the fumes.

Otherwise, here are some tips to try: http://lifehacker.com/tested-the-bes...ions-476088845

(KLD)

6 lbs, wow, I can't make it through 2 onions. I actually use a fan to blow it away.

Also, just wondering if one could par boil the skinned, whole onions, then when pretty tender, cool them completely and chop. I make creamed onions and may try this.

I use a food processor. Also, if you light a candle and put near you it helps mask the onion aroma that makes you cry. To get onion smell off hands if using a knife, rub your hands over a metal spoon with dish soap, something in the metal helps remove the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    6 lbs, wow, I can't make it through 2 onions. I actually use a fan to blow it away.
    It was for an onion soup recipe, very good actually, here: http://www.alexandracooks.com/2014/0...ch-onion-soup/ .

Very sharp knives are the key. Doesn't "tear" the onion as much releasing whatever it is to make you tear/cry. I have a really good electric sharpener I use.

Smile

Place onions in the frig and chill them; also, as Steve mentioned, use a sharp knife.

Or just harden up some more

A food processor is the perfect thing. You can slice or chop the onions for your soup. I also have found that removing my contacts and wearing my glasses helps. If doing by hand, a sharp knife is necessary. But that is the only kind you should be using anyway as it is really safer than a dull one.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I read a tip in a magazine years ago that works great for me because I love to chop by hand.
    Clear lens swim goggles.

(But for six pounds of onions I would go to the food processor!)