Thread: UTI's

UTI's

I use a condom Cath, and have for several years. I have had several UTI's and and hospital stays. The last few have gone Septic.
    Has anyone had the same problem?

I had a patient with a similar issue. His bladder wasn't emptying properly due to a new seating system where his pelvis was tilted backward slightly more than previous seating system and was having trouble with his bladder emptying with using an external condom catheter. He had the seating adjusted and that helped. It may be a good idea for you to get a urodynamic study to see the flow of your bladder and the pressures.

pbr

UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I had a patient with a similar issue. His bladder wasn't emptying properly due to a new seating system where his pelvis was tilted backward slightly more than previous seating system and was having trouble with his bladder emptying with using an external condom catheter. He had the seating adjusted and that helped. It may be a good idea for you to get a urodynamic study to see the flow of your bladder and the pressures.

pbr
    Thank You

In my first year of injury, I was hospitalized 5 times for UTIs - all within the first year. I went septic with one of them and almost died. My urologist put me on trimethoprim (antibiotic) and that fixed it for a few years. I wanted to get off the antibiotic and was told by a fellow SCI person about d-mannose. It's very good at preventing UTIs. I started taking 3 pills, 2 time per day. I then stopped the trimethoprim, and have not had a UTI since. My last UTI was in June of 2010. I stopped taking trimethoprim on April 29, 2013. I don't know with 100% certainty that d-mannose is completely responsible for me being UTI-free, but I'm not willing to stop taking it to test my theory.

D-mannose can be purchased on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JN4CR0/...ords=d-mannose

D-mannose only helps prevent one type of bacterial infection - one from e.coli. And while that is a good step, just know that it isn't the only bacteria around that can cause a uti.
    CKF

Thanks everyone...