Thread: concerned

concerned

my pca and I were changing sp tonite she was opening the cath by the tip I told her no don/t do that open by the other end as I don/t what the ti[ exposed. she turns rips it open and layes it down on the new
    sterile bag in the the lub.

but the tip briefly touch the toilet lid that I had cleaned early with bleach water.

I told her that we did not do that she assured me she has changed hundred she is a retire lpn but. from what I was taught you don/t handle tip or let it touch any thing

no I did not have an extra or I would have throw it away
    have not had a uti in years how nerveous should I be

Guess I would give you odds of 50/50.

Are you using HydroCleanse (Vetericyn)? If so, maybe step up the instillations from one per day to two per day for a few days.

You need to have an in service training session with your caregiver on the way YOU want the catheter changed, not they way that she may have changed hundreds. Try to do this training as a walk through, now rather than waiting until next month when you need to have the catheter changed for real. You should be using sterile cath kits and maintaining a sterile field during the change. Just a few days ago, one of the SCI nurses on Care Cure emphasized how important a sterile suprapubic catheter change is. Check back in "Care" a few posts. If I find it, I will post.

All the best,
    GJ

This http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-foley-balloon I believe is the thread GJ is referring to.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

yes I read that after I posted the thing is she has worked for me for almost a year this was a first but you can believe it will be handle next month. I have been doing with thos way for years now I am the one that gets the end about 4 inches from tip
    and insets but this time it was all wrong

but how do you stay sterile at home?

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    yes I read that after I posted the thing is she has worked for me for almost a year this was a first but you can believe it will be handle next month. I have been doing with thos way for years now I am the one that gets the end about 4 inches from tip
    and insets but this time it was all wrong

but how do you stay sterile at home?
    You use sterile cath kits with or without the catheter.

Why did your caregiver, after a year of working for you, not understand your expectations? Sometimes caregivers get complacent and lazy. It is time for a jump start about how you expect certain procedures to be done.

All the best,
    GJ

sorry about all this. I don't know what to tell you for now but it is a 50% chance you could get infection. In the future you can ask for a pca who is willing to work with you on your cares, have an extra supply of catheters, and have sterile cath kits. good luck.

pbr