Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new Cushion

UPDATE So i ended up not going to the doctor instead i protested the decision in a 10 point letter why i need this new cushion. Have nothing heard from them since.
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

Blog Entries
    waiting is a bugger, had anyone tried the Vicair cushions and what did you think ?

I recently received the "Vicair Adjuster X Cushion" (Google: Comfort Company wheelchair cushions, see video).
    I had Polio, paralyzed from high chest down, with scoliosis, have sensation, so my situation is somewhat different than someone's cushion needs with SCI. This particular cushion has 8 separate, some different size, zippered "pockets" in which there are removable air cells, each cell is triangle shape about 2". I purchased a bag of extra air cells in addition to the cushion.
    It's a bit early to evaluate the cushion. My scoliosis makes me vulnerable for much discomfort and near skin breakdown on one side, as I lean toward that side, and use constant caution - weight shifts. I was able to remove cells from the pocket in that area to form a "well" for the sore spot. I am able to add a couple of cells surrounding that "well".
    Thus far I am comfortable, but my long history of cushions means I begin to feel serious discomfort after about 3 months on a cushion. I like that I can re-configure this one as needed. I also have my previous cushion - can't remember name but it has roho-like air cells in the back, and I placed foam rubber across the front. I can temporarily switch cushions if needed. I have found in my decades of paralysis that I cannot sit on any cushion indefinitely, so I have stored about 3 of them, and sometimes have to haul one out, giving my main one a rest.

Blog Entries
    Am trying Vicair at the moment, it is the one with the foam in the front (active?) For me I like a more solid front for transfer support

Quote Originally Posted by gommer View Post
    Actually had a question for any Roho users out there. When they set you up you only have that about half inch leeway from bottoming out which does not seem much of a safety margin although apparently this will give the best results. What happens for example if you are carrying a heavy shopping basket on you lap, would not this push your butt down and squeeze that gap in respect of the air pocket and potential disaster ? Just wondering
    I have used a Roho since the days of my E&J 3V power chair:low profile, high profile and enhancer. The enhancer works best for me and when the cushion is properly adjusted carrying things in my lap temporarily makes no difference. I got my first Roho enhancer with my Invacare Action Arrow power chair, the last power chair I had with 20" rear wheels.

UPDATE! + Rant
    So today i got another lovely letter filled with paperwork! (i am beyond pissed about it since the already have it)
    Basically all about my none existing decubitus. Seriously if my insurance would read my file that they have of me they would see i have no history and i got these types of cushions as a precaution so that i hopefully have never to deal with it (which i do everything for it to not get one).
    Why does my insurance not inform me when things change aka when its harder for me to get stuff that i need at the end of that letter its says its the new policy well 2015 is almost over now what's so hard to tell me that in january? thats how stuff goes here in germany its an absolutely disgrace. A few years ago i used to get everything i ever wanted and now i have to literally crawl up there you know what to even get the most basic stuff. I really consider moving somewhere else (maybe even america yes i said it i even know the area i would move to ). Anyways i stop now since my blood pressure was of the chain at the beginning of this post which i know can be unhealthy .Y'all have a good one take it easy.
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

FINAL UPDATE! First off Happy new year everyone! hope you all doing great.
    I got word that i will get my new cushion finally! so happy it was a lot of fighting but it was worth it i say 2016 is off to a great start.
    already contacted my store to tell me when i can pick it up which will take a couple of weeks.
    Also i will post how the cushion is after a few days of use.

Got my Cushion today! lol. Everything seems to be as i expect it to be except they messed up my order and forgot to the 2nd cover which i opted for (oh well) xD. But first impressions are very good and i am very very happy! i still gonna keep the old one as a "emergency replacement".