Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does nerve pain get worse at night?

I find my worst pain is in the early mornings 2 or 3:00 AM until my next pill dosage at 7:00 AM. . I've been lucky lyrica has helped tame some of my nerve pain and valium to help me sleep and a antidepressant I'm able to get through most days and nights.. Without them I don't think I would last very long I remember those days they were pure hell some still are I only hope they find something for all of us SOON!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

My worst pain is when I'm conscious.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

you go alan. I can't bother with is it 9.9 9.5 10 WTF it is always f'ing agony

ket

The sensations are so damn crazy, not that I can actually find words to fully describe what they feel like. I'm sure we all know what that's like-frustrating as hell. As is the ongoing deterioration. And my concentration issues. I actually would like some kind of life, but I don't know what to do. I have almost no adaptive equipment beyond typing splints, and eating splint, neither of which I can put on by myself. With the continuing "hardening" of my back, and sticking and popping of my shoulder blades, plus the sensation of the shoulder blades and vertebrae ripping through my skin and tearing even more with movement, it gets more and more difficult to use my arms. I can't really exercise beyond just them around, because weight or resistance makes the sticking even worse. I really do hate this. I don't like needing caregivers constantly, because I can't do anything. I'm terrified of winding up in a Medicaid nursing home, but that is the future I see.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to depress you. I know you were a happy camper before you read this.

As for the pain level rating BS, I've always said 10, because that's how it felt to me. Pains control my life, and if they want to see me in bed trying to roll into a fetal position (which I can't do), and scream and cry (which for some unknown reason I don't do), I'll do it for the doctors if they want.

Best rating scale I ever heard was when a pain Dr. has me to compare what I felt to the worst pain I've ever had before. That worse pain was when I broke my wrist in half when I was 14 and fell out of a tree, said pain which was even worsened when the doctor in the ER yanked my arm to straighten it out of its Z shape. Many of these sensations are worse, one in particular being the bones through skin feeling, which is exactly what a compound fracture is, and my wrist wasn't even compound (no broken skin.)
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My worst pain is when I'm conscious.
    Yes indeed! Laughter here now in spite of it.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Pain worse when lying down

My intuition/imagination - non-medical person that I am, I have a theory about this situation. For about the past six years or so when ever I lay down flat on the bed the pain becomes twice as bad as the always present daily pain (4 to 7) it jumps to 10 and lately is keeping me awake for way to long.

My theory is this; when we are sitting the vertebrae is compressed pinching nerves cutting off some signals to the brain that register pain. When we have been up for hours the pain is therefore 'numbed down'. When we lay down all of the vertebrae (s) open up allowing ALL the pain signals to head to our brains.

Could this be possible?????????
    ~~~~~~~~~~

With our crazy situations, anything is possible (nonprofessional opinion.) Personally, I don't feel any worse laying down. I actually feel better in some aspects. I don't feel quite as crooked as I do sitting up, my shoulder blades feel like they are protruding a bit less through my skin. Otherwise, everything feels about the same-abdomen, back, legs, feet, hands, etc.
    Alan

are your using ketamine

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post
    you go alan. I can't bother with is it 9.9 9.5 10 WTF it is always f'ing agony

ket
    KK - Question, have or are your using ketamine. I recently read an article that ketamine is becoming the new anti depression drug.

Is it available to the general public yet?

Gary
    ~~~~~~~~~~

The way I've been able to make the pain go down is alcohol. A couple martinis do the trick. That'll bring it a 5 instead of 8.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Does anyone experience the stabbing pain that comes right out your big toe over and over!!!!this just started 2 months ago? It feels as though it will blow up!