Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does nerve pain get worse at night?

Why does nerve pain get worse at night?

T6 complete, sharp stabbing nerve pain at injury level (chest and back) and burning 24-7 in butt/legs/feet. Regardless of my physical activity, my pain always gets worse at night. Doesn't make any sense. Its always really bad in the mornings as well, but I figured that's because I haven't moved all night. But I can be doing the same thing in the afternoon and at night and the pain is always worse from around 8-9 on. Any ideas?

Fatigue and deteriorating posture also posture, reclining can impact pain and as you point out the inactivity of sleep.

Have similar experiences.

ket

good question. it sure does though doesn't it?

If you are up and functioning during the day, distraction can be a good pain reliever. In bed, at night, you can't distract yourself against the pain...that is my experience.

All the best,
    GJ

gjnl; Could not say it any better !

I'm with ya brother, have no idea why, but it's there, I try to deal with it with aleve, mmj, even opioids tho not very often, it has to be a ten and nothing else works and I don't want to go to bed. Best of luck, know we are all on your side, for what good that does, just know it

agree with gjni- as the day winds up , it is just you and the barrage of neuropathic pain without distractions. I also think that the daily struggle of a gimp with SCI lowers one's tolerance to NP pain as the day wears on.
    Brad09 - nothing about neuropathic pain makes any sense.

My suggestion- go to bed earlier. This limits the hours of suffering. If you know you will be a basket case and a bundle of misery at 8 pm, plan your medication such as taking a as needed opiate or benzodiazapam or your dose of Lyrica/Neurontin 1 hour before the 'witching hour'. Consider an Ambien type medication if it is impossible to fall asleep with the burning.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to read the tea leaves in determining what flares NP pain. Is it the barometric pressure? Too much exercise? Not enough exercise? Alcohol, Coffee ?

I know that physical activity and exercise exacerbate neuropathy but I do it anyways.

For me, when I shut the lights out, I am left with the bombardment of neuropathic burning- this is a very demoralizing way to live and end each day. Try getting into bed before the meltdown occurs. Take medication before you hit 11.5 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Nerve pain patch

Try
    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    agree with gjni- as the day winds up , it is just you and the barrage of neuropathic pain without distractions. I also think that the daily struggle of a gimp with SCI lowers one's tolerance to NP pain as the day wears on.
    Brad09 - nothing about neuropathic pain makes any sense.

My suggestion- go to bed earlier. This limits the hours of suffering. If you know you will be a basket case and a bundle of misery at 8 pm, plan your medication such as taking a as needed opiate or benzodiazapam or your dose of Lyrica/Neurontin 1 hour before the 'witching hour'. Consider an Ambien type medication if it is impossible to fall asleep with the burning.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to read the tea leaves in determining what flares NP pain. Is it the barometric pressure? Too much exercise? Not enough exercise? Alcohol, Coffee ?

I know that physical activity and exercise exacerbate neuropathy but I do it anyways.

For me, when I shut the lights out, I am left with the bombardment of neuropathic burning- this is a very demoralizing way to live and end each day. Try getting into bed before the meltdown occurs. Take medication before you hit 11.5 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Try
    What patch?

Count me in for worse at night. I'm started to dread going to bed. I never really had any issues with NP until 2012, then started burning, stabbing, etc. I've been hurt almost 35 years. I went to Craig and they did a barrage of tests and determine NP. So far I've held back on trying meds, but not sure how long I can go. I use to think bowels had something to do with it, but I'm not so sure now. I broke my tibia and had rod/screws last year and don't think that helped.