Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair cushion?

This maybe a tough question. Does anyone think if I removed the wood insert in the cover, changed seat from strap to solid add any additional life to cushion. Then only thing rubbing against cushion would be its cover, not the wood insert.

Other tricky thing with the Sport cushion is, you BETTER make sure you are positioned correctly as you are sitting on it and "breaking it in." If that breaking in goes wrong, may as well toss cushion into trash.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    This maybe a tough question. Does anyone think if I removed the wood insert in the cover, changed seat from strap to solid add any additional life to cushion. Then only thing rubbing against cushion would be its cover, not the wood insert.
    yes, imo this would slow wear down. this is what I have always done. I always have 2 supracors in rotation. alternate them. hope this helps.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I've talked to the people at Supracor a few times. They are very helpful. Why don't you give them a call 1.800.787.7226? I think what you say makes sense, in fact just removing the wood and keeping the strap sling seat the way it is may be best.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... is the Slimline firmer than the Sport?" - the Sport model is slightly more firm than the Slimline model. The difference; however, is not great.

I will send information to Supracor via email. I cannot hear so calling not work for me. I do have multiple of the Sport. I only do the rotating though when I am cleaning them. By this time1 of them is practically "used up." I only keep a 2nd in case I have some kind of emergency where primary is messed up and must be cleaned and still need to sit on a cushion while primary dries from cleaning. At east these things dry fairly quick. I do not put them in dryer - air dried.

Blog Entries
    Interesting point Lin, I am going to test a Vicair as I like the idea of comfort without having to worry about to much maintenance. I am not sure about the transfer issue as well as the reason I like the foam as it gives you something to lift off and provides that little bit of extra height. I see that Vicair do offer a cushion with foam at the front but do not know how well this would pressure map

I've been away for a while, catching up. I prefer my vicair to my stimulite comfort wise, but I was supposed to get a pediatric stimulite which is a bit softer and they screwed up. Maybe when I get my pediatric one (ended up with slimline xs) I'll like it better. I have full sensation.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.