Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair cushion?

Wheelchair cushion?

Does anyone have any suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. I pay for the things out-of-pocket. Given that, they only last maybe +/- 6 months before the firmness is completely shot. I sit on the thing probably 80+% of the day. The last one I got I decided to only wash it by hand. Even routine wash the cushion, but not over wash. Chair is strap seat. There is a solid board cut to near cushion size that is inserted into the cushion cover for firmness. Board, my guess, reduces the life of the cushion.

How about VicAir by Comfort Company. The Adjuster Low Profile is a 2" thick; I use the 3.5" thick Adjuster. An incontinence liner is available. The air cells last indefinately. My Adjuster is super comfortable (I'm incomplete with sensation).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. ..." - the Supracor Stimulite Sport is among the firmest annd thinnest wheelchair cushions available, with the Stimulite Slimline cushion (without the XS option) being similar.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-05-2015 at 04:08 PM.

chas, I will check what you are saying. I have looked and looked and looked. Wc, I have had 4 Sports. Yes very firm. I actually love the thing when it is new, but that firmness degrades so fast. That was why I was trying to explain the situation. A Sport would be just fine if it lasted longer than 6 months. That was why I was trying to explain entire situation. I do want firm and thin. Was even thinking what would happen if I spent the $$$ and replaced the "strap" seat with solid? This solid would be thin so no raise in height. I do not like to "play" around with the chair and loosen things. I like to keep it as solid as possible.

I did a quick look. I will look more in detail. Never ran into this doing searches.

In your opinion, is the Slimline firmer than the Sport? Do you used a Slimline? What kind of life do you get from it?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    rlmtrhmiles,

Regarding "... suggestions on firm/very firm, thin wheelchair cushion? I use Supacor Stimulite spor. ..." - the Supracor Stimulite Sport is among the firmest annd thinnest wheelchair cushions available, with the Stimulite Slimline cushion (without the XS option) being similar.

I've used every cushion they make for 20 yrs now as a supracor athlete and a dealer, imo the sport is firmest. when it starts getting soft do you wash it? washing it "fluffs" them back up. this really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    In your opinion, is the Slimline firmer than the Sport? Do you used a Slimline? What kind of life do you get from it?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I would not consider vicair cushions firm. Especially since the air cells shift around, I have to position my cushion before I sit down and sometimes moving around (I shift my weight constantly) causes them to shift and I have to lean to one side and punch the cushion to adjust the cells back where I want them. I'll be trying a stimulite soon and hope it's as comfortable for me so I don't have to deal with the shifting.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

This time with this cushion it is hand washed maybe every 6 weeks. Yes, the washing does seem to regenerate life. Does seem all of the regeneration is gone. Very little, if any, fluffing back up.

I had an air cushion on an old chair. I blew that cushion up, putting too much air in it. Seriously doubt I would go to air again.