Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folate?

Folate?

Anyone here read up on this research? Does anyone take this vitamin folate?

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jun2010/nichd-24.htm

this study was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation in June of2014 by a researcher of the Univiestity of Wisconsin and I guess it went nowhere .......4 years ago........You had to take about 8 grams a day 10 - 15 times of RDA

Quote Originally Posted by okwjoe View Post
    this study was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation in June of2014 by a researcher of the Univiestity of Wisconsin and I guess it went nowhere .......4 years ago........You had to take about 8 grams a day 10 - 15 times of RDA
    It said 80 micrograms per pound, I multiplied 190 times 80 and got 15 milligrams, unless I'm missing something, that amount is easily achieved and might be worth trying.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    It said 80 micrograms per pound, I multiplied 190 times 80 and got 15 milligrams, unless I'm missing something, that amount is easily achieved and might be worth trying.
    I just reread the nih article and it said 80 micrograms per kilogram, so it would be less than half of the 15 milligrams.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

folate usually comes in 400 mcg tablets so it would 15 tablets per day.

Quote Originally Posted by okwjoe View Post
    folate usually comes in 400 mcg tablets so it would 15 tablets per day.
    I take two tablets a day of folic acid which is the synthetic version of folate and it is 1000 mcg or 1mg, I recalculated and for 190 lbs, it's 6.9 mg which means I would take 3 in the morning and four at night. I take the folic acid with b6 and b12 twice a day on my physiatrists orders, he does that for diabetics who can have severe nerve damage.

looking at the folate fact sheet in the nih article, folic acid is more bioavailable than folate, .6 mcg folate equals 1 mcg of folate, so my dosing for the study would 4.14 mg of folic acid, which is higher than upper limit of folic acid consumption which is 1 mg folic acid. There is a disclaimer on the chart which says you can take more folic acid than the table under a doctors supervision.

It seems like an excess of folic acid can mask a b12 deficiency which has severe consequences, it is why they don't recommend higher dosing of folic acid.

Very interesting, Trek. I am curious for the future if you will be able to tell that these supplements help you some, even if it is subtle. BTW, Happy New Year...maybe I can drop in to see you this year.
    CCS/Walking Quad

I did some research on this. I'm about 125 lbs and figured I would need at the maximum about 4 mg a day. There's a product on amazon that sounds real good and I ordered it. Folate is what the research used for their results and not synthetic folic acid. I found out that some people do not have the ability to make methylfolate and this product is what works for them to relieve depression or neural pain and to give energy and better concentration.

It's Life Extensions 1000 mcg L-methylfolate 100 veggie caps, I think. Thanks so much for the article link...

You're welcome to visit anytime Revis.