Thread: ventilator bipap question

ventilator bipap question

i'm a c3 quad and use a bipap probably 4-5 times a week the past few months at night because of severe pain and tightness in my ribs and abs. It helps me rest but lately i hurt so bad that the bipap alarm goes off constantly from shallow breathing. I use a nose mask. would it be possible to use a ventilator with a nose mask occasionally when i need to rest my breathing muscles? it's kind of doing the same thing but the vent you don't have to trigger the breathe.

Actually ventilators can be set up to require you to trigger the breath (similar to bipap or cpap) or to totally take over for your breathing, but with a ventilator you would mostly likely require a tracheostomy rather than a face mask. I would suggest you see a pulmonologist who is also expert in neurologically impaired breathing for an evaluation of 1) your current set up to see if it can be better adjusted to you, 2) if you need a different, better set up, and 3) if you could benefit from a good respiratory muscle strengthening/endurance building program. You might also want to discuss sub-diaphragmatic e-stim pacing as an option.

(KLD)