Thread: Dragon Dictate for Mac 4.0 vs 3.0

Question Dragon Dictate for Mac 4.0 vs 3.0

Is it worth $150 for the upgrade? I may just wait another few months until the next. Seems yearly at this point- still buggy-- especially the formatting PITA.

I think $150 for the upgrade is nothing more than a money grab from Nuance! See this THREAD. I seem to recall that some users are having good results with Yosemite and DD 4, but then there is this THREAD. My analysis from what I've read, DD 4 is like rolling the dice. Disclaimer: I have not upgraded to DD 4. I do not own a pair of rose colored glasses. I am just reporting on what other users have experienced when using DD 4. I have stayed with DD 2.5 because it hasn't given me any major headaches. I also use DNS with Windows.

Chaz, I would like to know your results if you decide to upgrade to version 4.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

My iMac sits there like a giant boat anchor because DragonDictate for Mac 3 sucks so badly. What I do use it it is with an on-screen keyboard. I'll check those Threads for tips for Tips. Thanks PN

I haven't updated yet, but 3 is getting slower and slower. Any news?

Still waiting for 5 to roll out.

Whatever you do, DO NOT upgrade to Dragon 5 for the Mac! I have been using DragonDictate 4.0 since April 2014. If you install all of the updates, it works pretty well. Dragon 5 should never have been released in the state that it is in. Correction does not work, mouse commands do not work, and that's just at the top of my list. If you go to the Nuance forum, you can get some idea of the problems that people are having. I reinstalled version 4 and I'm sticking with it.

Looks like Nuance has its own problems.

LINK
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I agree with Brian, we have only had one customer review on Dragon for Mac version 5 and it was as follows:

"Not Ready!"
    Hillcrest on 9/23/2015 12:00:40 PM

Review Description: Commands do not work. Mysteriously slows w/ accompanying spinning beachball of dread. I do expect upgrade/improved v5.1 SOON. Mac users need this. Currently slightly better than Dictate app in MacOS10.11.1.

We have always found the dedicated Mac Speech recognition software to be inferior the PC software (Dragon for Mac vs. Dragon NaturallySpeaking). Although Mac users are growing in numbers they are still a very small piece of the pie so almost all research and development money goes to the PC software. If Speech recognition is going to be a big part of your computing experience or if you depend on it We strongly suggest a PC and DNS VS. a Mac and Dragon for Mac.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff