Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual frame. Your opinion

Unusual frame. Your opinion

Hi from San Jose, CA ! Name is Alexander and I`m newcomer here. We just made a concept and will finished industrial design in a few months, specified it on all-terrain and off-road ride. We checked reactions with people and get "Woah" effect and understand that all quality needs for city ride are present. Also we understand, that quality needs to stand out from others and get unique are present. Besides, there are big opportunities for personal tuning, that is sound system (speakers) with subwoofer, which you can connect to your iPad, that is lighting equipment and other stuff, standart for tuning of motorcycles. Right now we have power recovery, range from 50 to 100 MI, 2 storage compartments, easy foldable and adjustable clearance, 45 kg weight (without battery) and average price for about $8,000-14,000 (depends on a custom equipment,design). How would you score such price / quality and those set of parametrs ?
    Name:  FB 1 620x320.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  170.9 KB
    Kind Regards,Alexander

Pricy, but are those duel hub rear motors? Where does one put their feet? Put up a video of it touring in that sand.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I also was wondering about foot rests, as well as the need for a back rest for those without good trunk muscles. Also ability to carry the manual wheelchair on the back (can't tell from photo) so you have something to use once you reach your destination (indoors).

(KLD)

Better pictures would be good. Thats a nice advertisement photo, but some realistic ones that show how its used are better to make decisions/opinions.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'm all for people coming up with new designs and options, but I'm not clear on your market for this one. Electric assist handcycles already exist (which have the benefit of providing exercise, which your design doesn't). Beach travel is hard...we live near beaches where 2 wheel drive quad bikes will struggle...your design unfortunately wouldn't work either.

A range of 50-100 miles...why? Who will chose to sit on that bike for that distance, when you could buy a car for that price, and be a lot safer? (Or an electric assist handcycle, or quad bike, if you want to go those distances off-road).

Sorry to be negative; I don't like to be!

When I'm able to access my PC, I will try and share a video of a modified electric off-road go-kart that I've made up recently. Works on sand (and gets through Australian bush), goes adequately fast for our purposes, and cost less than $2k. I have no interest in making money from my contraption; making the inaccessible accessible is my intent.

edit: here's the video link
    http://youtu.be/iENZlhCS8Pc
    Last edited by Gordy1; 12-28-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added video link
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Great go-kart Gordy. Not to sound all mushy and all, but I think you are the greatest dad. And I really like your intent of "making the inaccessible accessible". That's what it is all about in my view.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    When I'm able to access my PC, I will try and share a video of a modified electric off-road go-kart that I've made up recently. Works on sand (and gets through Australian bush), goes adequately fast for our purposes, and cost less than $2k. I have no interest in making money from my contraption; making the inaccessible accessible is my intent.

edit: here's the video link
    http://youtu.be/iENZlhCS8Pc
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

The "Woah" factor is cool, but most just struggle to get the equipment they need for basic mobility. At this price I think you really will only have a niche market, and only for those who would be able to manage it for the reasons the others mentioned.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thank you all for such fast respond ! Let me answer to each one of you.
    @nonoise:
    Pricy, but are those duel hub rear motors? Where does one put their feet? Put up a video of it touring in that sand.
    Video with current model you can find here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aMMhVM48KY. Here we tested the reliability and performance rear suspension, it has proved to be good. Frame, seat and all nodes have been improved, but you wont see it in video. In this frame footrest worked out quite uncomfortable but now its calculated and done. We are now completing an industrial prototype and ready to fulfill handmade orders, that explains the price (tuning, ext. Equipment).

@SCI-Nurse:
    I also was wondering about foot rests, as well as the need for a back rest for those without good trunk muscles. Also ability to carry the manual wheelchair on the back (can't tell from photo) so you have something to use once you reach your destination (indoors).
    (KLD)
    You can also check video i post higher for "nonoise". For a tall person (190-200 cm) it is possible to have footrest almost straight (like chopper landing), but apart from that clearance adjustable from 10 to 40cm allows you to change the position of the feet. Adjustable clearance worked well for driving on rough terrain and the city. Due to the volume frame we have two luggage compartment (front) between the steering wheel and the seat and back (attachment) behind the seat between the wheels. Do not quite understand the question of the wheelchair, if you can explain how it will look like, I would be interested to know.

@~Lin:
    Better pictures would be good. Thats a nice advertisement photo, but some realistic ones that show how its used are better to make decisions/opinions.
    Here you go Name:  4.png
Views: 250
Size:  393.6 KBName:  geetrike woods 620x320.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  149.3 KB.
    Right now we finishing industrial prototype but I cant show you it at the moment. But hope to share as soon as I can.

@Gordy1:
    I'm all for people coming up with new designs and options, but I'm not clear on your market for this one. Electric assist handcycles already exist (which have the benefit of providing exercise, which your design doesn't). Beach travel is hard...we live near beaches where 2 wheel drive quad bikes will struggle...your design unfortunately wouldn't work either.

A range of 50-100 miles...why? Who will chose to sit on that bike for that distance, when you could buy a car for that price, and be a lot safer? (Or an electric assist handcycle, or quad bike, if you want to go those distances off-road).

Sorry to be negative; I don't like to be!

Thank you for your criticism, I take it positively. In this model, we tested the concept and benefits of the suspension and the result is that we have received, we found very good and what we are doing now with the design. There is less design in that model, as we more focused on technical data. Design developed in a version that has not been completed yet.
    Regarding the sand, you're right, trike with a weight of 60-80 kg and weight of the driver in such wheels will not be able to move through the sand, even with 3 points of support (instead of 2), it is necessary to select appropriate wheels.
    According to our research and information available about electric, we have identified the fear of exhausting the charge (low battery) that a person is afraid that stall and will not make it. And also fear that the distances up to 36 miles it is not enough for one day, so initially we set the bar not less than 50 miles and are ready to increase.
    First of all, we looked at our product for driving on rough terrain, but were not pay special focus on the sand.

@elarson:
    The "Woah" factor is cool, but most just struggle to get the equipment they need for basic mobility. At this price I think you really will only have a niche market, and only for those who would be able to manage it for the reasons the others mentioned.
    Yes, we are looking forward to a niche market, as electric trikes is poorly-designed theme. That's why we go to this market. Now, seeing the "wow" effect, even when using this model we want to achieve such level of personalization and comfort that people, who purchased the product, do not regret about it. Therefore, as one of the hypotheses we see individual handmade manufacturing. This explains the price as well.

Feel free to ask any questions, I`m happy to answer. Thank you.
    Kind Regards,Alexander

You can also check video i post higher for "nonoise". For a tall person (190-200 cm) it is possible to have footrest almost straight (like chopper landing), but apart from that clearance adjustable from 10 to 40cm allows you to change the position of the feet. Adjustable clearance worked well for driving on rough terrain and the city. Due to the volume frame we have two luggage compartment (front) between the steering wheel and the seat and back (attachment) behind the seat between the wheels. Do not quite understand the question of the wheelchair, if you can explain how it will look like, I would be interested to know.
    Still can't figure out where foot rest is, or how leg is supported.

How can you attach a wheelchair to this, so that the person who is only wheelchair mobile can carry their wheelchair with them, then transfer into it to into a shop or restaurant, etc. at their destination. You couldn't take this indoors.

(KLD)

What do you mean "woah"? now that I look closer I do not see brakes other than one rim brake on the front. And what is that triangle on the rear axle? At first I thought it must be suspension, but it is positioned odd from the angle you are showing. Speaking of which, where are the tire tracks in the sand? Was the trike carried there or photoshopped there? You were quoted as providing a video, I hope to see it in the sand.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.