Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caster Fork Padding?

Caster Fork Padding?

I'm moving to a new place and I don't want to damage anything with my caster forks. They always rub against the side of the bathroom sink or in the kitchen.

Any ideas on preventing this?
    Never Give Up!

Instead of putting something on the forks, apply some type of material over the areas that get rubbed. Even a piece of cardboard taped on temporarily until you can figure out something permanent. Let us know what you come up with, we all have the same problem... I use single-sided forks on my chairs and still have those "rub" marks in the places you mention. I find a magic eraser removed the worst of them but I should do something proactive instead of reactive.

I'm interested in a permanent solution, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

The worst for me is doorways and corner walls with tight turns... And in front of the kitchen sink.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Depending on your decor you might find thin sheet metal acceptable. Building supply stores sell the metal kick plates (in a variety of decorative finishes) commonly seen on commercial doors. They are about 9 inches tall and the width of the door, meant to be attached with small screws around the perimeter. They can also be mounted with double-stick tape to avoid drilling all the holes in your doors. For other applications, these same stores sell aluminum roofing flashing--thinner metal in longer rolls and available only in a bright brushed aluminum finish. It's easy to cut with shears, bend to a suitable shape and affix with double-stick tape.

I echo Endo. The other thing that I have (behind all my light switch plates, after the decorative cover and further protecting the wall), are sheets of clear plexiglass. For service dog puppies that are practicing these are really nice! You could also try to find this, or similar, in sizes that are more compatible to your household use (i.e. larger than light switch plates).

The hardware store also has foam noodles (sometimes, other stores during pool season). In the hardware store these are generally in the plumbing section to insulate pipes. Depending on your use and where you want to put the padding (i.e. corners of walls as Lin mentioned) - these might be helpful. Also, if you have a hoyer lift or something and tend to have muscle spasms (I knew someone who did, and he used pool noodles to pad the bars so it wouldn't hurt).

Good luck!
    Mystery

Those same building supply stores sell plastic sheet, acrylic or polycarbonate, in clear and sometimes white. They will likely cut it for you in exchange for nothing more than your gratitude. And a positive letter to corporate naming the helpful employees carries a lot of weight in that retail world.

Also consider purpose made trim for corners. (Search on "corner guards for walls") These are clear or paintable plastic, usually available with self-stick adhesive for easy mounting.

I found 2 solutions that won't affect my house. The first one Rhini truck bed lining. The stuff is super strong and adhesive but costs a lot of money. I've emailed and asked them to make a small kit for wheelchair users. The second is a "plastidip" type spray can and is cheap in comparison. I haven't used it yet but I hope it's good. I have hand rim covers so they don't damage anything. I couldn't find them when I searched online but I know they exist.

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-ha...ontent=Default

http://buyrhino.com/diy-rhino-epoxy-...ampaign=diykit
    Never Give Up!

You can buy some 2" industrial strength Velcro at the likes of McMaster.com
    Peel and adhere to your forks, not very noticeable and gives you soft protective barrier. Works a charm...

Single sided forks work really well - worth the cost for sure.