Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Want a Cure?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    Grammy, how about Dr Jerry Silver's drug?
    BTW, you are very knowledgable with respect to research. If you had to pick a therapy to test on a human today for a 1 1/2 year old injury, what would you recommend?
    I would recommend nothing at this time, including Dr. Silver's peptide formulation. The lab is working with the peptide in chronic models to see if they can get good recovery. If they can, we'll know shortly what needs to be combined with the peptide in order to bring all this about. (Additional animal testing)... We have to have something clinically relevant in order to go to human trial.

    I believe in do no harm. I want to see perfected stem cell lines, growth factors, scaffolds and potential clean tested drugs injected into larger mammal such as dog, porcine or primate at chronic stage with relevant injury models. I want the animals examined after 6mo - year to see the histology. What was their recovery? Did tumors develop from migrating cells? Did the animals deteriorate and get worse? Did the animals recover really well and get better? Were there complications in other systems of the body? If any were successful, could we put them together and have a superb combo therapy with rehabilitation?

    Incidentally, there is more research putting the combo therapies together and testing them in humans. It's costly and time consuming but necessary steps that have to be taken in order to get FDA approval. The answer isn't to stop all SCI research funding and pretend the FDA should or will approve human testing on incomplete research data. The combination of zero funding for research and temper tantrums towards the medical profession will not bring about therapies for the SCI community, in fact it will work quite the opposite.

  2. #12
    I appreciate your explanation. I disagree, I have to live in this misery and would gladly accept the risk of improvement.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    I appreciate your explanation. I disagree, I have to live in this misery and would gladly accept the risk of improvement.
    Yes, fair enough with gladly accepting the risk of improvement.... Some people however would accept all the risks (including death) and other's feel the gamble just isn't worth it and they wait out the testing phases to see what comes of the various testings. Some resort to overseas cell therapies that have frequently not turned out so well for them. Once you're injected with something, there's no turning back.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    I appreciate your explanation. I disagree, I have to live in this misery and would gladly accept the risk of improvement.
    Here here! Those overseas therapies are crap just injecting stem cells and hoping for something to happen. The logic is well there stem cells so maybe they can fix it hardy har... The epidural stimulator, with this drug hell scaffolds even neural cells and most importantly an abundant effective rigorous regiment of functional physiotherapy that combination is easily worth all that glorious risk and the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If I die, great at least I tried if I become sick or far worse more disabled DNR!!

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Yes, fair enough with gladly accepting the risk of improvement.... .


    GRAMMY

    How bout we get you some money to start a research of our own? We got therapies and people that are willing to try it, what else we need.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    GRAMMY

    How bout we get you some money to start a research of our own? We got therapies and people that are willing to try it, what else we need.
    Edit: ....We got shit therapies ...

  7. #17

    Make me a bucket of the genome at the top of the picture and I'll be glad to inject it in my back! I'll even figure out the dose. What are you all scared of? .....growing a nose on your back? I'd be happy with ten noses growing out of my back if I could just hold my pee! I believe the kids say "go big or go home". WTF do you people want to hold on to?

  8. #18
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Worse neuro pain. Tumours. One death can shelve a potential therapy for decades (4-ap). The do no harm clause.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Worse neuro pain. Tumours. One death can shelve a potential therapy for decades (4-ap). The do no harm clause.
    Exactly Lynnifer, someone begging to become a serious adverse event won't help bring this therapy forward to the clinic for everyone to use.

  10. #20
    I understand the argument. It's a shame that politics and perception play such a role in the path forward. I appreciate both of your patience and feedback.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •