Thread: Marvel M1?

Marvel M1?

I got my driver's license and now I need a new chair that collapses. My current chair and any other rigid chair is too big for me to bring inside a car. The only chair that could work is a Marvel since it breaks apart. Are they still being manufactured?
    Never Give Up!

Look around on You Tube for vids of people loading chairs. Get hold of WTF. She is a quad and loads her rigid in the car herself.

I'm not like most people. I'm 6'4 and my chair is HUGE compared to most other chairs.
    Never Give Up!

Are Marvel wheelchairs still available?
    Never Give Up!

Marvel is gone. Even if you can find a new old stock chair somewhere you'd be hard-pressed to get support for it. (The web link provided above is from 2011. The telephone number is no longer active.)

Marvel creators Jeff Adams (CC user name: JeffAdams) and Christian Bagg are the founders of Icon Wheelchairs, which is where your search should begin. Jeff has posted frequently here and there's LOTS of information about the Icon on CC for you to peruse.

If you need a chair that folds down to a really small package, take a look at the RGK TigaFX - http://www.rgklife.com/en/our-wheelc...ge/daily-range I don't know if it's coded/covered yet, so double check that - I've seen it in real life and it rattles quite a bit at the joint that folds the front end, but it's an option, and is very well made in terms of manufacturing quality. 49bespoke.com in Canada are the distributors - they have a bunch of dealers in the Montreal area.

You can take the front end off an Icon and some of our customers have put quick release clamps on the front end to make it easier/faster to remove it - you'd have to judge for yourself if it was fast and convenient enough to do everytime you loaded/unloaded your chair into a car.

Christian is 6'5", and he loads his Icon in his car (Nissan Murano SUV) without taking the front end off, so it's possible.

When you're loading a chair into a car, the length isn't really the biggest concern, so I honestly don't think that taking the front end off or folding it under like the RGK TigaFX won't likely move the needle much in terms of making it easier to load.

If you haven't got a car yet, you should look at getting one with long front doors, or a coupe because they usually provide the most room to manoeuvre a frame into the front passenger or back seat.

The Icon

Hello Jeff,

I'm really glad to hear the Icon breaks apart like the Marvel. Exactly what I need! The RGK sounded good until you said it was rickety. I'm moving to Liberty Village in Toronto on January 7th. Are you there everyday?
    Never Give Up!

Also might want to consider something like the mazda 5 with sliding rear doors to load the chair into. There are lots of videos on youtube of people reaching behind the drivers seat while sitting in it to load a fully assembled chair into sliding rear doors, or suicide rear doors.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

We're at Dundas and Lansdown now - about 5km from Liberty Village. Email me at jeff@iconwheelchairs.com and come by and see us.