Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surelock problems?

Surelock problems?

Is there a way to adjust the tension of the surelock actuator to make it easier to use? I can't imagine a quad being able to flip it the way it is right now. Also, the way its set up you have to flip it 90 degrees to lock/unlock, and in the lock position there's an additional 90 degrees that it just swings loosely in. I noticed that from the unlock position, if you push it the opposite direction of locking, it goes about 20 degrees and stops. Its also much easier to push back and forth between these positions, so I wonder if THATS how its supposed to lock and unlock, and something is wrong.

The guy who came to install them took it out of the box and it worked that way with the 90 degrees to lock and then moves around loosely. He opened up the box to try and figure out a way to adjust the tension and couldn't figure anything out. But it is SERIOUSLY hard for me to engage, takes both hands sometimes. I know people do things like mount the lever in spots where they can hit it with their elbow, I'd crack my elbow trying the way this thing is right now!

They're going to have to come back out anyway. with a new clamp. He couldn't get it to work at all at first due to the oval shape of my frame, but of course this was ordered for my specific frame... I called Jack, and he told the guy that its made to clamp to the underside. He still couldn't get it, there wasn't enough room for it to clamp and completely fit before the bend. So he put it on the top for right now, which makes it even harder to engage since I have to pull it towards me into my leg, and the cables and part of the actuator are under my cushion on the right side. To top things off, and I didn't realize this until he had left, but now when my back is folded it can't lock down because the actuator takes up just enough room it can't. Which is going to throw a huge wrench in how I load my chair, and even more so in how other people load my chair. I use medicaid transportation at least 3 times a week, and I always tell them to pick up my chair by the rigidizer. Now you can't, so I'm not sure how to tell them to load it. They have a hard enough time as is and I'm constantly cringing as they bang the thing around.

Its all really frustrating right now, especially since I've been waiting 6 months for these. And I have to go run some errands really soon.

Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

How about some type of extension or angled extension added on the lever to give you an advantage?

My .02
    ^^(A)^^

Well part of the problem right now is the location needs to be changed, the guy claimed it couldn't be mounted under the frame at all because it wouldn't fit, my boyfriend here for christmas thinks the guy was full of shit and it can be, I really need it mounted on the side but the clamp won't go there... I don't know what kind of thing could be used for extension. I know some people have used stuff like just tubing for an extension, but if you attached tubing to the end of this thing and tried to flip it you'd probably snap the tubing in half before the lever would budge! I seriously have to use 2 hands to lock it most of the time, which kind of goes against the reasons I switched to this. I was struggling with my composite locks against the tires with it hurting to engage, so this is supposed to be easy to engage and one hand locks both... But instead I'm taking 2 hands to reach over and flip this god awful thing. I know there are quads that use these hublocks as well, so there has to be some way to make this easier!

I asked a few people and each one told me I'd get faster replies on CC... I'm quite shocked at what I'm seeing here, I haven't been around much because I moved Nov 9th so between that and health issues things have been too hectic. Is it so dead around here because the holiday? Or have things gone even more downhill?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Is is difficult unloaded with no one in the chair? And what about rocking the chair forward and back a little to get the pistons to line up with the holes in the disks? There is no reason it should bind. Does it work freely ever? Flip your chair over and see if you can find an instance of aligning the wheels and flipping the lever that *is* easy and debug it from there. If it's never easy in any position, check for alignment that the pistons hit the center of the disk holes. I suspect that is the problem.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Its difficult to flip all the time, it was difficult to flip before it was installed on the chair so it doesn't have anything to do with the positioning of the pistons in the discs. He handed it to me to try before installing, and I was shocked at how hard it was to flip. Also surprised at the weird way you flip it 90 degrees to lock, and then it just loosely moves back and forth for another 90 degrees. I'm not sure if I'm describing that correctly, so I'll take a little video in a bit. I'll also show the way you can flip it slightly the OTHER direction, and its easier for me to flip. Its actually somewhat easier for me to get to engage when I'm not in the chair, but thats due to the difficulty of pulling the lever towards me into my leg, so I'll do the video NOT sitting in the chair and hopefully not have any issues flipping it one handed while holding my phone with the other!

I have no experience with SureLocks, but I do have and love my D's. The D's lever tension is very easy to adjust (from locks-itself to can't-move-it), and it holds it's adjustment . . . a long time (years?). I should think SureLocks would have an adjustment, too.

BTW my lever is mounted on the backrest's rigidizer bar; I reach behind me to operate it.
    Name:  2012-09-10 14.10.19.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  230.1 KB
    Last edited by chasmengr; 12-26-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ok I got the video. In the beginning I show that it also moves back and forth some in the opposite direction from how to lock/unlock it, and I don't know if you can tell in the video but its easier to move it back and forth in that direction. Next up shows how to lock/unlock (straight forward is unlocked, perpendicular to the frame is locked) and the loose 90 degrees. And a photo showing how it shoves up into my cushion in the locked position.

I've not seen this brand Lin, but that does not look correct. Take both wheels off and try it again without wheels. If it stills binds such that you cannot use it, complain. Something is wrong.
    edit: have you looked for a tension adjustment?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I do NOT know the details here, so sorry about that. The extension idea may work. I know on my old Quickie, that had extension on the push-to-lock. Extension was removable. it was open hole that simply slid over the end of the locking arm. It was mounted with spring-type sling. Could easily take it off and on, but with the sling it was always there, hanging there. Amu kind of extension of that locking arm will significantly improve your ability to operate the lock.

Nonoise, yes its equally hard to flip the lever when the wheels are not on. It feels the exact same way to flip the lever as it did before it was even installed on the chair, when I was just handed the actuator, cables, and pistons (NOT attached to the chair or discs in any way) and tested out flipping it back and forth. That was when I told him he'd have to adjust the tension for me. Putting it onto the chair and having the pistons engage into the discs doesn't make it harder, it feels the same.

Yes, I asked the guy from NuMotion who installed it (who also admitted he had never done one of these before) to adjust the tension. He opened the actuator box and showed me how it worked, a box moving back and forth inside when you flip the lever, and this thing the lever is attached to that just rotates and that he couldn't find anything that would adjust the tension. I did not see anything he didn't or I would have had him try it before leaving. He just settled on that it must become easier to flip over time, agreed there was no way a quad could flip this lever, tried to go back and forth with it as many times as he could, and left. But days later it feels exactly the same, I'm avoiding putting my brakes on while I was hoping these would allow me to put my brakes on much more often since it would be easier, and in the chair it usually takes 2 hands. My wrists may be weaker in the direction its going once I'm in the chair or something. But you can probably see in the video that I'm struggling to flip it one handed.

I've emailed Jack from surelocks. I called him the day of about the clamp thing so I didn't want to bug him by calling his cell again, especially around the holidays, so hopefully he emails back soon. But then again I've emailed him about 3 times in the last 6 weeks requesting prices for discs for a pair of spinergy wheels vs discs custom made (for the taiwanese spinergy knock offs) so I can consider that into looking for used spinergy's or saving up for the new taiwan wheels.

An extension would not work with how difficult it is to operate right now. The only way an extension would not break, would be to get something metal and bolt it on which I don't have the money to do, and the lever already digs into my cushion so extending it really isn't an option.

I only mentioned an extension previously to bring up the point that other people with hublocks have been able to use things such as simple tubing as an extension (like chas on his D's locks, mounted on the back to hit with his elbow). However if I attached tubing to this, it would snap in half before it budged the lever any.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 12-27-2014 at 11:13 AM.