Thread: Apple Health App & Fitness Activity Monitors like FitBit, Jawbone, Misfit, etc.

Question Apple Health App & Fitness Activity Monitors like FitBit, Jawbone, Misfit, etc.

Will any of these wristbands measure wheelchair daily activity?

If so, how would they be programmed for different levels of energy out put? For example, someone pushing a power assist manual chair like eMotion vs a weaker quad pushing a regular sports chair vs a strong para pushing a sports chair?

Name:  fitbit-surge-350px.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  24.7 KB

Sounds like you have an idea for an app that would be useful to Rehabilitation centers.

I have wondered the same thing but for use at the gym doing cardio and using the stationary heavy bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Will any of these wristbands measure wheelchair daily activity?

If so, how would they be programmed for different levels of energy out put? For example, someone pushing a power assist manual chair like eMotion vs a weaker quad pushing a regular sports chair vs a strong para pushing a sports chair?

Name:  fitbit-surge-350px.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  24.7 KB
    Broken Doll, I do not have an SCI, but I use a FitBit One to track my activity level with a chronic illness. A FitBit wrist device would track the difference between whatever it considers a normal activity level and whatever it considers more intensive. (I am not familiar with the three newest FitBit devices.) For someone in a wheelchair, I would think the benefit would be mostly tracking progress, rather than exact energy out put. For me, it can become kind of addictive to try to push myself a little more than I did the day before. You can also connect with friends who are using a FitBit and encourage or compete with one another. There are other devices that also measure heart rate and perspiration, that might be more useful to you. Rosie

I remember when i talked to nike a while back about this they said the fuelband would track wheelchair activity. As i was ready to get one it was announced by nike that they kill the fuelband to work with apple one the Iwatch but i don't know if the Iwatch would work for us wheelchair users (its damn pricy too).The polar loop does also not work for whellchair users (sadly because since it has a chest strap for workouts). In regard to the fitbit i also talked to them and they said that they tested it but it wouldn't show anything if they tried to simulate a wheelchair motion. But i agree with Rosie above its more for tracking progress (which i am interested in) than energy out put.

UPDATE! Fresh from Garmin about the vivosmart

"As a wrist-worn wellness band, it will detect repetitive arm movement and track that movement as "steps." The v?vosmart will detect and track the number of times your arm moves, but it may not be as accurate for wheelchair movements since it's calibrated and built for walking movements.

If you plan on using the device with a heart rate monitor to track that data, it would work fine for that, even if the step count is not accurate for your arm movements."

Thank you for your interest!

-JPK
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

I am more motivated whe I can track my progress. I'm excited to look at the Garmin.

Id like to be able to measure my energy use too. It would be cool to distinguish the pushes by the amount of strength pit into them - ie uphill compared to flat wheeling.

other calorie burners for me are dressing, training my dog, housekeeping . . .

I am the same why i want to track as much as i can. Wonder what the numbers are steps=pushes and if the are somewhat reasonable but i don't expect much honestly unless u can adjust the sensitivity like you could on the fuelband but didn't see it in the device manual that you could. Maybe i can get my hand on one to try in out. The pairing with the phone would be useful as would be the move bar for inactivity and heart rate monitor for workouts. So it has definitely some features that it could be useful for someone in a wheelchair.
    Last edited by Darkrider; 01-10-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

After months of research and talking to different companies i think there is a Activity Wristband for wheelchair users that works!
    After my discovery of Under Amour clothing (so glad i did there stuff is flat out awesome) they releasing the UA Band as soon as i saw it i contacted them and asked if someone in a wheelchair could use it. Every other company i talked to said no it doesn't work BUT UA did not they said "it does although the data may not be accurate" first time a company told me that of course its not designed for wheelchair users in particular. what i learned its has different modes like a "cycling" mode (which i should use since i am in a wheelchair they said) it should track speed,miles traveled and stuff which would be enough for me to tell how active i was maybe the number of steps=pushes are reasonable unless its an absolute absurd high/low number and it syncs with MFP which is great. So i am very excited to try it out (release in europe is this summer) so i have to wait. I will keep you updated when i get my hands on one if and how it works.