Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep the seat cushion from moving.

Can't keep the seat cushion from moving.

So I have a Jay 2 Deep Contour cushion. In my old chair, Permobil Chairman, I could push my cushion up against the back of the chair. And that helped keep the cushion in place
    With my new chair, Permobil C300, I can't push the cushion up against the back, so I have to rely on the velcro to hold in place. Unfortunately, the cushion's cover is a little loose. So the cover is stuck to the velcro, but the loose material allows the cushion to move a little from side to side and forward and backwards. Just curious how others keep their cushions from moving.

I do not have same equipment or power chair, but in my manual chair I do sort of have same issue. I do not think there is a solution other than try adding more Velcro. If someone writes a solution that will be interesting.

I hope someone has a solution. Like I said I didn't have this problem with my old chair. Only reason I got a new chair was because my old one needed repairs, but they stopped making parts for it. There's not much I like about my new chair. If anyone knows anyone that is in charge of designing chairs for Permobil, I would love to talk to them.

Have you explored what it'll take as far as getting the cushion and cover tightened up? I think all wheelchair cushions are held in place with Velcro.

Apologies for not knowing the material...but is it possible to add Velcro to the inside of the cushion and the inside of the cushion cover? On my foam cushions this may be possible, but I'm not sure what your cushion is made out of.

Good luck.

Other thing to try might be double sided mounting tape, like for pictures? Not sure what the other surface would be. If it's hard mounting tape might work, if fabric it probably won't.

Mystery

I have never tried these, but this is the first thing that popped into my mind after reading this post. It might be worth a try (or something similar?)

http://www.amazon.com/JOBAR-INTL-INC...at+Cushion+Mat

You should be able to add as much Velcro to the cushion as you wish. If adding Velcro, BE SURE to add some in both horizontal and vertical positioning. Basically 90 degrees mounted different, If this still not make it any better, try adding Velcro in an Z-pattern. You need to put the Velcro closer to the edges of the cushion. Do not add Velcro in the center. This will not work.

Can you get someone to make a new cover or, using a sewing machine, tighten the material on your current cushion cover, so that there's no chance for cushion itself to move inside the cover?

If you have a Jay cushion and a Jay cover than it should be a snug fit. Is it possible you have the wrong cover, for a larger cushion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    If you have a Jay cushion and a Jay cover than it should be a snug fit. Is it possible you have the wrong cover, for a larger cushion?
    I have the cover it came with. It was a snug fit to start. But the fabric on top, the part I sit, stretches I think. Which is also why I think sewing the cover would only be a temp fix. Tighten up material, my butt will stretch it out some more. Might still give it a try though.