Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Activated Phone

Voice Activated Phone

Does a true-(no button pushing needed) voice activated cell phone exist?

I believe the Moto X would be able to do that out of the box.

There is an app called Dragon Assistant on Google Play that does a great job on android phones, it is worth trying.

Anytime a device is Always Listening for your command there is increased battery drain, when I have used Dragon Assistant it was not very noticeable.

I have used a Moto Hint earpiece which is always listening. I used this on my Samsung S5. The earpiece worked great but batter lasts a mere 5 to 6 hours, it comes with its own portable battery pack/quick charger. It is hands down a great no touch headset. If the battery lasted longer I would have kept it. There is a headset from Intel called Jarvis, which is supposed to be the endall to a true personal assistant in a headset. Intel has not released this yet.

Yeah, I have a 1st gen Moto X. It's always listening for voice commands, works well, and the battery lasts all day with moderate use. The new Moto X is even better.

I work at Verizon so I have used almost every smartphone currently available. I too would recommend the moto x for truly voice activated usage. It should not even be necessary to use dragon unless you have advanved uses for your phone.

An iPhone can be a hands free phone with the feature "hey Siri". You just say "hey Siri" and then a command, and it'll do it. The standard use requires it to be plugged into a power source to listen for the "hey Siri ", but it's possible to make it work all the time with some software modification. I'm not sure if it would be useful for what you need, but I find it really handy.

thank you nayr, that might be best for my use how technical is the "some software modification" part?

I have a Moto X but my wife uses an iPhone 6. Speaking from experience, the Moto X is far better than the iPhone for voice commands.

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    An iPhone can be a hands free phone with the feature "hey Siri". You just say "hey Siri" and then a command, and it'll do it. The standard use requires it to be plugged into a power source to listen for the "hey Siri ", but it's possible to make it work all the time with some software modification. I'm not sure if it would be useful for what you need, but I find it really handy.
    I'm not sure what the software mod is, but it does drain the battery faster. Two hardware options: You can get an external battery case, and as long as the case is in its "on" mode, then Hey Siri will work. What I am doing with my electric chair is to wire a USB charging port to the battery. You can either get a straight to USB, or a cigarette lighter/car charger combo. Then you can just plug the iPhone via Lightning to USB cable and Hey Siri should work. I'm doing this method because I keep forgetting my phone on the charging dock all time. This way, it is always on my chair, although it now has a tether. Of course, you could combine the two solutions, so the phone remains untethered, but when it needs charging you can plug it into your chair instead of a dock somewhere.
    Last edited by Kulea; 12-17-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    C-6/7 incomplete