Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Motion M15 Power Assist Wheels

Can you remove the batteries and keep the e-motion wheels on your chair for normal/indoor use without keeping the extra battery weight?

Can you remove the batteries and keep the e-motion wheels on your chair for normal/indoor use without keeping the extra battery weight?
    Yes, but I don't know why you would.

because I want something only for getting up my ramp into my van. In the house, I wouldn't want the extra weight because I think it would be hard to maneuver my chair around for transferring on and off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    Yes, but I don't know why you would.

Forget this idea ! It will not work, for 2 main reasons :
    - all the wheel weight a lot, with or without battery ! I mean, removing the battery (and I think it is not possible anyway without tools, on the last M15 model) will not be a great change in the total weight?
    - when you use E-Motion, you must have particular settings on your chair, due to the big amount of power. The wheels must be far on the back to avoid wheelies when using the 2nd gear (max power). Thus when you use your chair "manually", these settings makes it as maneuverable as an anvil.
    In fact E-Motion wheels are a nice solution if and when you use them all the time. Low gear inside home, high power outside. If you want only an help from time to time, and "come back" to manual chair after, you may better consider ZX-1 or SmartWheel power assists.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

you are right. I thought the majority of the weight was in the batteries but they are only 5 lbs each. Total weight of wheels and batteries was over 50 lbs, if I remember correctly. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    Forget this idea ! It will not work, for 2 main reasons :
    - all the wheel weight a lot, with or without battery ! I mean, removing the battery (and I think it is not possible anyway without tools, on the last M15 model) will not be a great change in the total weight?
    - when you use E-Motion, you must have particular settings on your chair, due to the big amount of power. The wheels must be far on the back to avoid wheelies when using the 2nd gear (max power). Thus when you use your chair "manually", these settings makes it as maneuverable as an anvil.
    In fact E-Motion wheels are a nice solution if and when you use them all the time. Low gear inside home, high power outside. If you want only an help from time to time, and "come back" to manual chair after, you may better consider ZX-1 or SmartWheel power assists.

The batteries are easy to remove and the only tool needed is a quarter. I remove my batteries daily when they short out and that's the only way to get it to reset. You can get covers for when batteries are out but I dnt know how to order. The manual refers to the covers for flying because your supposed to take the batteries out and carry on plane.

Have you considered one of the devices that helps loading up a wheelchair ramp? Like the ones that pull you up into the vehicle, there are some really nice ones that are supposed to be super safe and automatically stop if there is any problem. If thats the only use you're looking for, and not power assist out and about, I'd think that would be a much better option. Otherwise for something you can turn off and use your chair normally, it would be the Smart Drive. Also much lighter for easier removal.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Josie, if you use a rigid chair I would suggest the ZX-1. My wife has one and tried it at our mobility dealer on a ramp van. It was a pierce of cake, the mobility dealer liked it so much he is considering trying to vend the ZX-1 for people who have a hard time with the ramp. I have a SmartDrive, nice piece of equipment but you must be careful. I have had the drive wheel rotate under my camber bar at full speed and almost upend me. I was on bad concrete at a noisy street fair and thought I had depressed the paddle switch long enough to deactivate it. I made a hard left turn and gave a hard push - suddenly I was going full speed toward a busy street. I grabbed one pushrim to execute a turn, the chair went up on two wheels to one side and the drive wheel passed under my camber bar and the drive wheel wound up upside down still trying to power chair, I pulled out power cord to stop it. I had to get 2 ABs to lift chair on one side to extricate and right the drive wheel.

Give some thought to the ZX-1, you can drop it in seconds and your chair is light again. With the ZX-1 attached the profile of your chair remains almost identical as without the device. My wife added snow tires to hers and even gets through light snow accumulations.

I have Adapt Solutions Power Pull installed but it currently doesn't work and isn't always reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Have you considered one of the devices that helps loading up a wheelchair ramp? Like the ones that pull you up into the vehicle, there are some really nice ones that are supposed to be super safe and automatically stop if there is any problem. If thats the only use you're looking for, and not power assist out and about, I'd think that would be a much better option. Otherwise for something you can turn off and use your chair normally, it would be the Smart Drive. Also much lighter for easier removal.

I have a folding manual chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Josie, if you use a rigid chair I would suggest the ZX-1.