Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juice Fast

Juice Fast

Has anyone else ever done a juice fast? A couple weeks ago (on Black Friday), my wife asked me if I would want to do a juice fast. I guess "want" is a strong word, but I could stand to lose a couple pounds (I'm about 205-210 and 6' 2"). We have two different kinds of juicers and we started fasting on Sunday. I had never done a juice fast before, but I do like food... and I'm not really a fan of fruits/vegetables. I had a "I can handle this" attitude at first, but it has become more difficult since then. Today (Friday 12/12/2014) is day #13. I have only had juice to "eat" since November 29. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? I enjoy the benefits that I notice this far. I feel lighter during transfers (making them easier)... My pants are all almost annoyingly loose on me... I get almost nothing when I do my bowel program.

Oh yeah and this was an idea of my wife's that was inspired by the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". Check it out on netflix if you haven't seen it - it's pretty interesting.

My father-in-law did one after watching Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. It saved his life, but in a way you wouldn't expect. The juicing deprived him of adequate nutrition (or calories, more likely). He lost a lot of weight really quickly, and started having some issues with fainting. Long story short, he eventually got off the juice fast, but after consulting a doctor about the fainting thing, they discovered that his carotid arteries were 90%+ clogged. He had surgery to clean them out, but if he hadn't, he'd be high risk for a stroke.

I think there's merit to juicing, but only if done carefully. Personally, I do a smoothie every day. I use a blender though, and while it's only part of my diet, it's been a great way to get nutrients that are otherwise tough to get without eating a lot of raw fruits/veggies.

If you are not getting any or sufficient protein intake, you are putting your skin at risk, and your weight loss is more likely to be loss of muscle tissue rather than fat.

(KLD)

That is a good point about the protein. I was adding either kale or spinach to all my juices for the added protein. I did just look up the protein content of those and found that I should probably just stick to kale because it has a lot more protein per gram than the spinach does.

Got a whole bunch of kale in this one that I just made:

The protein in kale is not a complete protein, and it is not much protein. You should be getting at least 60 gm. of complete protein daily to maintain muscle and keep skin healthy. If trying to heal a wound or pressure ulcer, it should be at least 100 gm. daily.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2461/2

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html

(KLD)

I agree about the protein. Rule of thumb for developing lean muscle: 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, daily.

If you exercise > 1hr/day or have higher physical demands, aim for 1.5g per lb of body weight.
    Last edited by -scott-; 12-13-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Don't kill yourself with these bullshit drinks. Bottom line, Get a dexa scan and resting metabolism scan done. It will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your body weight. For Example, I weigh about a 145 pounds and need 1400 calories a day. If I want to loose, I cut to achieve a minus of 3500 calories a week. to gain, just do the math. If you exercise that is a plus. I believe for all sci we need to cut carbs and increase protein . I would use a 50/30/20 carb/ protein/ fat ratio. If you can cut even more carbs and increase protein its a plus for all sci people. you will get in shape. It is easier than most think. you don't need to drink special drinks or eat special foods. Just eat normal and try to eat healthy. I was into fitness my whole life and was injured about eight years ago. This methods works for anyone. Best To all .

Nayr hav u lost any belly pounds.. rr u quad n hav famous quad belly or para...
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Don't kill yourself with these bullshit drinks. Bottom line, Get a dexa scan and resting metabolism scan done. It will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your body weight. For Example, I weigh about a 145 pounds and need 1400 calories a day. If I want to loose, I cut to achieve a minus of 3500 calories a week. to gain, just do the math. If you exercise that is a plus. I believe for all sci we need to cut carbs and increase protein . I would use a 50/30/20 carb/ protein/ fat ratio. If you can cut even more carbs and increase protein its a plus for all sci people. you will get in shape. It is easier than most think. you don't need to drink special drinks or eat special foods. Just eat normal and try to eat healthy. I was into fitness my whole life and was injured about eight years ago. This methods works for anyone. Best To all .
    It's not "bullshit drinks". It's fresh produce run through a juicer. And it's not a permanent thing. It's been two weeks now, and I'll probably go a while longer. When I come off the fast, I'll probably still keep having juice for a couple meals a day and throw in real food for dinner or something. And then once I'm down to a size I'm happy with, I'll re-evaluate. I'm not about to get a dexa scan or any other scans done just to tell me what I need to do to maintain body weight. If I get fatter, I'll change what I eat or cut down on how much I eat. If I get too skinny, I'll eat more. I'd have to be pretty darn skinny for me to be unhappy with how skinny I am. I really have no idea what my current weight is. I'm 6' 2" and was 201 when I was last weighed on May 29, 2014 and was 205 back sometime in 2013. I doubt my weight had changed much between my May weight and when I started my juice fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    Nayr hav u lost any belly pounds.. rr u quad n hav famous quad belly or para...
    I am a T3 complete para and my parabelly has definitely gotten noticeably smaller.