Thread: Dr. Hui Zhu patients?

Dr. Hui Zhu patients?

Dr. Young I was wondering, what were the injury levels of the 30 patients Dr. Hui Zhu treated?

Are you referring to the intradural decompression study? They vary from cervical to thoracic levels. Wise.

Yes I have watched your youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCTk5xVhjw starting at minute 40 at least a dozen times in the video you mentioned a study that included 700 patients I was wondering if the results from that study have been published and where I could find it? Also is any institution planning on conducting similar type studies and when they plan to start? In addition I have read numerous articles on chABC and the trouble with having to perform repeated injections has anyone come up with a pump similar to the insulin pump that could be modified to perform chABC infusion/injections? My thinking on the pump is that it could be implanted similar to an SCS only it would need to be inserted under the dura, arachnoid and pia mater.
    Last edited by mrwilsonsfc; 12-19-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Are you referring to the intradural decompression study? They vary from cervical to thoracic levels. Wise.
    Hi Wise!
    It would be amazing to get more info on the mentioned subject (intradural decompression.)

I have a syrinx surgery in a few days - do you reckon I could persuade my neurosurgeon to do this? He is extremely renowned, and is at a major hospital in Oxford, in the UK. My family would be more than willing to help me with this 666 regime, and I am planning out building the walker required!

Regards

mrwilsonsfc, the extended study has not been published. However, I am helping Zhu Hui submit a more detailed study of the original 30 patients. That should be submitted soon. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwilsonsfc View Post
    Yes I have watched your youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCTk5xVhjw starting at minute 40 at least a dozen times in the video you mentioned a study that included 700 patients I was wondering if the results from that study have been published and where I could find it? Also is any institution planning on conducting similar type studies and when they plan to start? In addition I have read numerous articles on chABC and the trouble with having to perform repeated injections has anyone come up with a pump similar to the insulin pump that could be modified to perform chABC infusion/injections? My thinking on the pump is that it could be implanted similar to an SCS only it would need to be inserted under the dura, arachnoid and pia mater.
    I answered your other questions earlier. Here I want to address your questions concerning ChABC.

We currently have no plans to implement chABC pumps within the coming year or two. This is because China does not allow first-in-human phase I trials on drugs from outside China. I understand that there are some efforts underway to initiate trials in UK and possibly in the U.S. The pump that is most commonly used to deliver small amounts of medication (such as ChABC) would be the Alzet pump, an osmotic pump that we have used for many years to treat animals and has been used to treat humans.

Several years ago, we published a paper on the effects of a single injection of chondroitinase ABC into the spinal cord of rats. This single injection cleared out the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPG) in the spinal cord for several weeks but the best results occurred when the injections were done relatively early after injury and was less effective in chronically injured contused spinal cords. If we were to do a ChABC trial, this would probably be the approach that we would use, i.e. direct injection of ChABC into the spinal cord above, at, and below the injury site. This ensures that the ChABC gets into the correct place and in appropriate concentrations.

On the other hand, we are planning to do a phase III randomized multicenter clinical trial in China to confirm the original results of Zhu Hui. I am sorry that it has taken so long but a number of Chinese spinal cord injury centers have expressed interest in such a study and would like to participate. So, we are helping organize that trial. It takes so much time, work, and money to organize clinical trials. The first intradural decompression paper was published in 2008 and we are in 2014.

wise.

Dr. Young, That is great news! however is there any plan for a similar study or trial on chronic patients? I'm sure there is no shortage of people willing to participate especially in China. Roger on the chABC trial, I read the study. Is the alzet pump and chABC cleared for use in the UK for SCI? I know chABC is currently undergoing a trial for disc herniation, is anyone planning a chABC trial for chronic SCI?

Dr. Young, per our conversation about chABC according to this website http://www.science.gov/topicpages/c/...abc+chabc.html there exists a chABC gel and another drug sialidase which I never heard of which seems to have a much greater effect on the gliosis than chABC alone both interesting approaches to repairing SCI.

Dr. Young, That is great news! however is there any plan for a similar study or trial on chronic patients? I'm sure there is no shortage of people willing to participate especially in China. Roger on the chABC trial, I read the study. Is the alzet pump and chABC cleared for use in the UK for SCI? I know chABC is currently undergoing a trial for disc herniation, is anyone planning a chABC trial for chronic SCI?
    mrwilsonsfc, I did not hear about chABC being cleared for use for disc herniation. If so, that is interesting. To my knowledge, no trial of ChABC has been announced for treatment of chronic spinal cord injury, at least not yet.

Dr. Young, per our conversation about chABC according to this website http://www.science.gov/topicpages/c/...abc+chabc.html there exists a chABC gel and another drug sialidase which I never heard of which seems to have a much greater effect on the gliosis than chABC alone both interesting approaches to repairing SCI.
    Several groups are trying to get together the preclinical data needed to get a clinical trial of chABC for chronic spinal cord injury in England. I have not seen yet any evidence suggesting that sialidase is better than chABC or that it is effective for chronic spinal cord injury. I believe that chABC would be most effective if combined with transplantation of umbilical cord blood or other cells that stimulate axonal growth and accompanied by intensive locomotor training. The phase I studies will have to be done in the U.S. or Europe before phase II studies can be initiated in China.

Wise.