Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power outage - running internet on powerchair battery

Power outage - running internet on powerchair battery

Oh boy do I need electricity.

Power went out hours ago in this storm. It wrecked me but I got down in to one of my powerchair batteries and connected an inverter, just enough electricity to run my internet router and wireless. Laptop is running on it's own battery. Refrigerator full of money, I mean food, going bad. Hopefully if I don't open fridge and the power comes on soon enough I won't lose it all. Argh.

At least my windows open and I can see the rain :-)

With the rain there's no reason to go out which is helpful because my power door opener won't work and I live on the fourth floor.

I need a handbike hooked up to a generator. Then a better body to run it.

Just whining I guess ;-)

Still, I am very eager to get back to electricity. Please return this modern convenience, I am not built for camping :-)

From what I saw on TV, your storm fairly big. Not sure how fast it is moving. I got whacked with 1 of these 1-2 weeks ago. At least it was during the night. It did take my satellite out, but not electricity. Satellite was out somewhere around 20-24 hrs.

It's weird how the power is out. One block will have power the next block not. I went by a building where the walgreens on the first floor had no power but opentv on the top 3 floors had power. people in SF are wimps!

Power came back on a little while ago.

I don't feel like a wimp Tom. I'm hurting pretty good from crawling around on the floor, taking apart my powerchair battery compartment and wiring things up so I could still have some electricity. Waiting for hot water for a bath to make things feel better.

Wasn't directed at you. I left Minnesota last week and it was 1 degree, and a little rain and SF is canceling schools and acting like its the end of the world.

But go take a bath, rewiring a battery is brutal work. I am a little tired my self having worked almost 40 hours this week and it's only thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post

I don't feel like a wimp Tom. I'm hurting pretty good from crawling around on the floor, taking apart my powerchair battery compartment and wiring things up so I could still have some electricity. Waiting for hot water for a bath to make things feel better.
    Last edited by t8burst; 12-11-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: been working so much don't know what day of the week it is

Last time they installed battery's in my power chair I had them add a cigarette lighter connection and mount it on top of the battery box just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post

^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Last time they installed battery's in my power chair I had them add a cigarette lighter connection and mount it on top of the battery box just in case.
    Can you post a picture of this...how did you do this? hmm.

noworries I can't take a picture right now but it a simple installation. I used a project box, cut a hole to hold a marine cigarette lighter receptacle and another hole down below to let out a length of 2-conductor wire connected at one end to the positive terminal (post) and the other to the negative. You can put a fuse in between if you like, I don't think I did. It's been a long time since I built it. When this power outage came I had to find what I had built but removed and re-install it. The parts are simple and the connections. It all depends on what you can do yourself or have someone else do. The batteries are incredibly heavy. In my case I have a set of group 24 gel batteries and they are 43lbs each. When my chair was built at the DME the made the wires really short and it's tough as heck to get things moved around. That's why I had such a tough morning doing the work.

You can mount the receptacle anywhere you like. I have it on the outside rear of my right armrest. I was holding it on with Velcro but I finally just used a black cable tie to keep it in place. Because I go the marine version (as opposed to what you would find in an auto parts store for a car) mine is very water resistant so I can go out in the rain and not worry. There's a rubber cap that fits in place covering everything. I don't take my powerchair out of the house anymore but if the power goes out again I like knowing I have some kind of back up all ready.

I live in semi-coastal Virginia and hurricanes are a real issue for us. I firmly believe that everyone needs to have a generator. I know this is not realistic for those in apartments and such but batteries are realistic. You can get a back-up battery for your laptop. Keep it charged. I do. I use my generator to make sure the groceries in my fridge and freezer do not go bad. This only happened once and we purchased a generator before the next major storm.

I live in the woods where every time the wind blows wrong, we loose power. It happens at least 10 times a year. Without my generator, I do nto have running water, hot water, lights, or the ability to cook in the house. We cannot run the water pump and the hot water heater at the same time but we heat the water, cut off that beaker and run the pump to shower. We cannot run the HVAC but can use the blowers to the wood stove in the winter. Summer is a pain with no AC but we cope.

We were luck that the last mess did not mess with us but my husband knows to make sure the generator is functional and has gas. We now have enough gas to run the lawn mower to chop all the leaves that will fall int he next month or so. We cycle the gas so it does not get old. We put it in one of the vehicles and fill the cans again every month. It is a habit that we have followed since we lost power from Isabel for 4 weeks. Living in the sticks has its drawbacks.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

What size generator do you have? I want to use it for Refridgerator/freezer and wheelchair?

Thanks
    C6/7 Incomplete