Thread: New ZR!

New ZR!

I think after umpteen dozen chairs in my life, I have finally got the best ever fit and ride. I have Jim Black to thank for some really good advice with that, and I'm pretty amazed that a few minor changes made a huge difference. Particularly length of the frame, which gives a lot more stability, and better fit. Even though I have short legs, they don't tuck under all that much. A taller back helps my positioning and posture, having a short, curved torso. Last chair was a ZRA, and this time I got my ZR I've always wanted. Yay!
    I am wondering something, though. I get pulled by a dog, and if I go fast at all, the casters are fluttering. Mostly if they hit a bump first, or hit a certain speed. Just not sure about tightening down the caster nuts more, and hurting the bearings. Maybe just a nudge? I'd like to be able to go zoom zoom
    Also, anyone know a source for frame protectors? I didn't get the ultra suede ones, because they don't last long with me handling that area putting the chair in and out of the car and such. Even though I love how they look, they're a bit too pricey to mess up easily.
    Here's a pic! Name:  1500817_10205443539027250_6095161067017109382_o.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  287.9 KB

Congrats!!

To reduce caster flutter, tighten the fork nuts until the forks are tightened just past free spinning - meaning when the chair is laying on its back (the fork stems are horizontal) the casters will stay in the position to which where you turn them, but just barely.

Some folks swear by Lizard Skins Bicycle Protectors as frame protectors.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Get those tightened sooner rather than later. That flutter, causes wear.

For dog pulling - use FreeWheel.
    And regarding frame protection, you have Ti chair with satin finish, just rub it every now and then with buffing pad - it should work fine.

Nice ride though!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Get those tightened sooner rather than later. That flutter, causes wear.
    Well, it didn't help much, and they were already really tight. We nudged them a bit more, and now I can go a little faster, but they're still fluttering. Could it be cuz the casters are 5" ones instead of 4" that I used to have? Another really puzzling thing, the gap between one side, with the sideguards and wheels is larger than the other...yet the measurement is the same for the axle nut area. I can't figure it out! It's like a 1/4" difference I'd say.
    Yeah, definitely need to use the freewheel with the dog. Had a scare today when he was running, and I couldn't squeeze the rims enough to stop, cuz they're new and slick, and my hands were dry! Whew! It turned out ok, but gonna have to screw in that footplate and use the freewheel lol.

Since fork nuts are already tight, you have four options: 1) FreeWheel, 2) find significantly lighter 5" casters (I have no idea where - FrogLegs perhaps), 3) switch to smaller casters (e.g., 4"), or 4) extend the caster trail, which is what I did (I designed, and local fabricator made the brackets; fasteners from hardware store). Now I can coast downhill without flutter so fast it scares me, so I wear a helmet. I don't know how this would work on single-sided casters. (Casters pictured are 5" FrogLegs Aluminum Hub Soft Roll (aka, 5" FLAHSR)).

Name:  IMG_20130805_172255 dim.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  66.6 KBName:  IMG_20130805_172316.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  257.0 KBName:  IMG_20130805_172424.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  245.4 KBName:  IMG_20130805_173219.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  320.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chasmengr; 12-14-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>